Looking For Creative Bike Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheInfamousDrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm starting to get back in to mountain biking and looking for a good an easy way to haul the bike.

Some caveats....
* I don't have a QR front axle
* I don't like the hassle involved with tailgate pads. Also my truck is wrapped so if it caused any scratches, it would be a PITA to fix.

So show me your racks! :biggrin:
(creative bike racks that is)

Last edited:

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i love my tailgate pad, as i have a chase rack in the rear.. i can easily haul one bike with the spares in there, but if im hauling 2, i have to take one spare tire out..

i got the fox split pad and i dont see any way that it would scratch the truck, and can be installed in minutes, so i dont really see the hassle..20220512_200410.jpg

JAWSRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score

check out this thread i had made a while back

rpw3

Reaction score
Not directly related but worth sharing. I run a tailgate pad most of the time but use a hitch mounted platform type carrier when I need bed space on road trips. Have done this many times on trips ranging from 5-12 hours each way without issue.

Last week driving through southern Utah air temps were 105+ most of the drive. Somehow the managed to melt a carbon wheel while driving. Keep in mind the bikes are probably 2 feet away from the exhaust tips. The only semi reasonable explanation is the exhaust gas temps combined with ambient air temps caused this.

The bottom of the rim sits only an inch or so higher than the receiver when on the rack. If going this route, probably worth looking into a carrier that has the bikes sitting a bit higher to avoid this issue.

Reaction score
I looked into all sorts of racks and ultimately ended up with a receiver mount platform rack. I didn't like the idea of adding length to the truck bc parking is a problem in some places that I ride but in the end that was the most practical option for me. No lifting the bikes up high, no removing wheels, no scratching the truck or bikes, maintains the full use of the bed for other stuff, don't have to leave the tailgate down, etc

gdflynn1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 bike tights for $10 a piece. Mount to a 2x12 laying around that fits the width of bed. Works perfectly, been doing it for years. Maybe $30 all-in and you can keep in bed or throw in garage when not using. You can even add front wheel mounts if you want those mounted also while in transit.

Let me.know if you want a pic of my current setup. I think I used a wooden fence picket this time around. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220708-125004.png
    Screenshot_20220708-125004.png
    696.6 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
TheInfamousDrew

TheInfamousDrew

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 bike tights for $10 a piece. Mount to a 2x12 laying around that fits the width of bed. Works perfectly, been doing it for years. Maybe $30 all-in and you can keep in bed or throw in garage when not using. You can even add front wheel mounts if you want those mounted also while in transit.

Let me.know if you want a pic of my current setup. I think I used a wooden fence picket this time around. :)
Wish this was an option for me. I don’t have QR axle up front.

Having to retorque each time doesn’t sound fun.