looking for cai/tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drj.raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been looking around and reading on forums alot of forums seem to be from afew years ago any updated opinions? it seem like 5star is pretty popular ive been looking into jdm and livernois any thoughts?
i do like the roush intake/exhaust (i am a roush fan) but not sure if they make the best products...

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, Mike at 5star is second to none. He has years of experience cstom tuning all manner of Ford engines, from the gas hogs like ours, to the EcoBoost and Powerstrokes. I have been selling his tunes for a while now and never heard anything but positive feedback. You can check out the available tuning options HERE

As for cold air intakes. It depends on not only your projected use of the truck, but also what you are budgeting for the upgrade. I personally like the aFe Stage 2 with the optional lid and the Volant. The Volant will provide a hair more HP gains than the aFe, they will both increase the overall "noise" from the engine due to eliminating the stock resonator box just before the throttle body. In the end, all intakes are comparable in the performance gains, but Mike at 5Star can dial them in with the tuning to get the most out of any brand intake. You can check the link HERE to see all the options we offer.

As for the exhaust, if you are installing just a catback exhaust, there really isn't much performance gain there. Mostly for looks and sound changes. The best way to upgrade the exhaust for performance is with a set of headers and a catback to match. As for which exhaust system provides the best sound? The system that has impressed me more than any other really would be the Corsa Performance catback. Whether installed with headers or on a factory manifold set up, the Corsa system offers outstanding throaty sound under wide open throttle without the annoying drone experienced with other systems while cruising down the road. You can check out the exhaust system options we offer HERE

All that being said, we are currently offering 10% off everything over $75 in our store with coupon code FREEDOM10 AND free shipping to the 48 contiguous United States and can provide international shipping quotes upon request. Please feel free to message me or call me directly at 276-233-0097 with any questions you may have.

BigBOSS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just ordered the Corsa CAI earlier today after reading all I could about CAI's on here. Corsa just bought Volant abd they seem to be exactly the same for the most part

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the Corsa CAI earlier today after reading all I could about CAI's on here. Corsa just bought Volant abd they seem to be exactly the same for the most part

This is exactly right. Corsa purchased Volant about five or six months ago. Their intakes for the Raptor are Identical except for the name and the price. The Corsa intake will cost a little more, but for the time being is more readily available. As a part of the buyout, Corsa has decided to move the Volant manufacturing facility and that is RIGHT after Volant redesigned their mounting brackets for the Raptor intakes. They are now close to starting up manufacturing again, but for the time being, be VERY careful when you see the Volant Raptor intakes for sale for ridiculously low prices, there are a few unscrupulous companies out there that bought them in large volumes before the mounting issues had been addressed and are now attempting to sell off their old design stock to get rid of them. If you buy one of those cheap cheap cheap Volant intakes, you WILL have issues with it. I personally only have ONE new design Volant in stock ready to ship.

But, like stated, the Corsa intake is identical to the Volant, you will just pay a little more for it.

BigBOSS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is exactly right. Corsa purchased Volant about five or six months ago. Their intakes for the Raptor are Identical except for the name and the price. The Corsa intake will cost a little more, but for the time being is more readily available. As a part of the buyout, Corsa has decided to move the Volant manufacturing facility and that is RIGHT after Volant redesigned their mounting brackets for the Raptor intakes. They are now close to starting up manufacturing again, but for the time being, be VERY careful when you see the Volant Raptor intakes for sale for ridiculously low prices, there are a few unscrupulous companies out there that bought them in large volumes before the mounting issues had been addressed and are now attempting to sell off their old design stock to get rid of them. If you buy one of those cheap cheap cheap Volant intakes, you WILL have issues with it. I personally only have ONE new design Volant in stock ready to ship.

But, like stated, the Corsa intake is identical to the Volant, you will just pay a little more for it.

So the Corsa doesn't have the issues?

BigBOSS

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read somewhere that the Corsa uses the stock reservoir. Was that the part on the Volant that was ****** up?

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, the reservoir itself wasn't the problem. The mounting bracket that holds it and the intake box was the issue. But part of the problem is also that the instructions that come with the Volant read more like a glorified parts list instead of instructions. I had sold a Volant to a customer (the new design) who couldn't get it installed, so I shipped him an aFe Stage 2 and had him ship the Volant to me. After spending about 30-45 minutes studying the instructions, I figured out where everyone was having issues with the installation. First, they weren't using the relocation bracket for the remote start sensor so it would get all jacked up on top of the new reservoir. Second, and I am not 100% sure what it is called, but closer to the windshield there is another bracket that mounts on the lip of the quarter panel. Well, most people were trying to simply remove the nut securing that bracket, sliding the intake mounting bracket tab over the top of the "stud" and then trying to bolt everything down. It will NOT work like that, it just won't fit. However, if you remove that factory bracket AND the stud itself, slide the lip of the intake mounting bracket under the lip of the quarter panel and then reinstall the stud and factory bracket, it fits like a glove. The reservoir is close to the brake master cylinder reservoir, but there is about a 1/4 inch between them and everything else lines up perfectly without modification. The number one issue with the Volant in my opinion is a lack of quality instructions that the average DIY'er is going to be able to follow to complete the installation.

Flying_Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely go for the volant CAI with the power core filter option. That filter can hold somethin like 20lbs of debris before letting anything into your motor. I also run the volant throttle body spacer as well. Ive had the hennessey intake which is complete junk and my honest opinion on any other dry/wet filter set up for these trucks. Considering all the mud, dirt, sand, water, and other crap we expose our intakes too the volant and power core filter combo is the only way to go from both a safety and performance standpoint. and you can go a long ass time on those filters like twice that of a normal filter.

And yeah when it comes to tunes run one of Mike's 93 octane performance and you'll see why we all love ours.