Looking for best tune on my new '19

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ckhris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gearhead.

It was between them & MPT for me (or livernois but they came out late & didn’t have trans tuning immediately) & I am VERY picky when it comes to performance mods.

In a nutshell my raptor w/ a gearhead tune drives exactly as you’d imagine a stock one w/ an extra 100hp/tq & better trans tuning would from the factory. Doesn’t feel “modified” just feels much faster/smoother & more responsive.

Their trans tuning is buttery smooth & slick shifting. I’d have a tough time believing another company puts out better/smoother tranny files.

My main goal was reliability & daily driver manners w/ more power & ability to “set it & forget it”- my understanding w/ MPT & some other s they push the boost & A/F mix close to stock limits & also require the highest octane- even a drop from 93 to 91 can cause issues on tunes like this, as can the occasional stale tank of gas or in the even of a real screwup your wife accidentally filling up w/ 87 and/or being on a road trip forgot the device running a 93prx tune & no 93 in sight - better hope you find some octane booster. Gearhead’s tunes have an octane “autoadjust” feature to compensate in case you have to run 87 or 89 etc.

how does gearhead add 100hp/tq and not push it to the stock limits?

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
how does gearhead add 100hp/tq and not push it to the stock limits?

I dunno precisely if I did I’d be in the dyno tuning performance biz lol I did a lot of research & seems that GHs dyno results are similar/on par w/ what other tuners are putting down - maybe a little lower than the more aggressive tuners- but they keep boost to the 16-18 psi level max, there’s a lot of fine tuning potential w/ both direct & port FI + twin turbos + the communication between the TCM & ECM & how those 2 strategies together can really produce a nice compromise between peak power:performance & reliability/driving manners. So what I’m saying is there seems to be a lot of variables that can be adjusted & go into producing good power on the dyno just b/c 2 tuners produce the same net result on the dyno doesn’t mean they got to that level the same way nor does it mean they’re both going to be equally as reliable
Long term.

Go to their website for more info or call me & chat it up. The dyno results are out there not just from GH themselves but other vendors (like ORA who put a stage 1 package together w/ GH tunes) or scour other F150 forums for individual results.

See attached from GH website- from 327whp goes to 435, TQ jumps from 349 to 481!!!

My truck feels like a buttery smooth sport sedan.

I’ll add this- my only experience is w/ GHs tune, but one thing I noticed immediately is the trucks getting into boost WAY earlier than stock- so maybe by dialing in boost early & often in their mapping they’re able to keep the peak psi on the lower end & still yield some big gains?

1A9BFD7A-198A-471E-AC62-6811FC41517B.jpeg

Last edited:

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks man!

With COBB TCM now released it transforms the feel of the truck! My dev truck makes 504whp (stage 2, so intake and Front mount intercooler only) on good fuel and it PULLS!

Dhowell

Reaction score
I dunno precisely if I did I’d be in the dyno tuning performance biz lol I did a lot of research & seems that GHs dyno results are similar/on par w/ what other tuners are putting down - maybe a little lower than the more aggressive tuners- but they keep boost to the 16-18 psi level max, there’s a lot of fine tuning potential w/ both direct & port FI + twin turbos + the communication between the TCM & ECM & how those 2 strategies together can really produce a nice compromise between peak power:performance & reliability/driving manners. So what I’m saying is there seems to be a lot of variables that can be adjusted & go into producing good power on the dyno just b/c 2 tuners produce the same net result on the dyno doesn’t mean they got to that level the same way nor does it mean they’re both going to be equally as reliable
Long term.

Go to their website for more info or call me & chat it up. The dyno results are out there not just from GH themselves but other vendors (like ORA who put a stage 1 package together w/ GH tunes) or scour other F150 forums for individual results.

See attached from GH website- from 327whp goes to 435, TQ jumps from 349 to 481!!!

My truck feels like a buttery smooth sport sedan.

I’ll add this- my only experience is w/ GHs tune, but one thing I noticed immediately is the trucks getting into boost WAY earlier than stock- so maybe by dialing in boost early & often in their mapping they’re able to keep the peak psi on the lower end & still yield some big gains?

View attachment 133675

Am I understanding correctly that this is just a tune (buy a tuner and an AO Performance file)? or did you buy the GearHead turbos too?
thanks!

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Am I understanding correctly that this is just a tune (buy a tuner and an AO Performance file)? or did you buy the GearHead turbos too?
thanks!

tune only

Don't need the turbos yet til ya break em & I doubt that'll happen til youre well outta warranty anyhow

Dhowell

Reaction score
tune only

Don't need the turbos yet til ya break em & I doubt that'll happen til youre well outta warranty anyhow

Anyone have a preference on tuners? Gearhead offers 2 - their own branded HP N Gauge Tuner or a SCT 40490 BDX.

Dhowell

Reaction score
As others have mentioned, check out our ORA550 performance packages. Plenty of reviews and real world feedback from very happy users here on the forum.

Link:

https://offroadalliance.com/search?type=product&q=ORA550+

View attachment 133731

Forgive me if I missed this on your website (I likely did), but what kind of results can be expected from just getting your tune (Stage 1 as I can't find 93 Octane anywhere in Colorado) and not the performance parts?

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if I missed this on your website (I likely did), but what kind of results can be expected from just getting your tune (Stage 1 as I can't find 93 Octane anywhere in Colorado) and not the performance parts?

Approximatetly 45HP to 55HP with 91 octane fuel and no other performance modifications.