Looking for a good dashcam!! Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muhockey2003

Reaction score
hey everyone! Looking for a good dash cam. Would like one that will be able to record and I can watch it live from my phone. Everyone complains about the blackvue app. I would prefer not to pay and can use WiFi. Needs to have a front and back. Please help!!! Thanks!

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the black view 750. front and rear 1080p. has wi-fi...but you can't watch your feed from say your office.

anything with a live feed like that will have a monthly cost.

OP
OP
muhockey2003

muhockey2003

Reaction score
Ok thanks!! Now for example I have optimum WiFi which is pretty much all over in NJ. If I can connect to that on my phone and be on WiFi can I do the same with that and not pay the monthly fee? Also I heard everyone complains about their app

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
from the research I did....no. no camera will connect to a 3rd party wifi and stream. Think of the camera as being either a cell phone (that you pay a data fee for).

if you dont do it hat way...the wifi they have is just peer to peer. you cell phone connects to the camera directly. so if you are not with in 100 feet....you can't connect.

OP
OP
muhockey2003

muhockey2003

Reaction score
Ohhh ok that make sense..so you pay like the $9.99 per month? Also isnt the app bad with them? Its rated horrible and everyone complains about it. To bad I cant just throw a ring doorbell in the truck hahaha

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I also have BlackVue. I only have it in front I have the newer 900? Model, 4K. Waste of extra money.

I like the form factor of the camera. And if you mount it as I did, right under rear view mirror, you can’t even see it when driving.

What sucks about it is you are limited to 1 minute loops in 4K, and only up to 3 mins in 1080p.

The app isn’t great but you get used to it. It’s relatively ez and quick to download clips, but tough to know which clip you want. But it will lock a clip if it feels a certain G force if you set that option.

I don’t know which camera is better however as they are all Chinese made and they write the apps so they are weak.

I was hoping Sony, Panasonic, Nikon or Canon would make one but hasn’t happened by now they will miss the boat.

I still recommend the BlackVue in spite of its shortcomings. And our Stanley Cup winner above is correct about the WiFi. ;-)

raisins

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072FVX74Q/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

And absolutely love it. Amazon has a $50 off coupon on it right now, costing $79.99 + tax. If you have a business Amazon account (which I checked through mine) and it's another $20 or so off. Easy to set up, has wi-fi, can connect and download videos directly to your phone. I couldn't justify spending $300+ on a dashcam since I wanted to spend more on a radar and this has worked great for me for the price.

OP
OP
muhockey2003

muhockey2003

Reaction score
Looks nice but it seems it only works when the car is on...looking for one while its parked to do motion and record too