Looking at used '19, what do I need to look out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usnmustanger

Reaction score
I'm going to look at and test drive a used '19 with 60K miles at a nearby Ford dealership. What specific items should I be on the look out for, inspect, whatever? Carfax is clean with the exception of a minor accident (cosmetic damage only to passenger side, pictures indicate it was repaired), and nothing else to indicate any major issues.
This will be my first Raptor.
TIA!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF

if it has a moon roof, pop it to vent then close, then move it rearward. if you hear a loud pop, it needs to be lubricated.

drive with windows down in 2H. listen for a chattering type sound or clatter(?). The IWE system can make this noise when not fully disengaging.

Otherwise, standard used vehicle stuff.

ocbcwc

Reaction score
Make sure there's engine oil in it! Seriously, recently got mine and it was extremely low.

I would try to negotiate the cam phasers right away. See if they will do it before you take it off the lot. Its been a nightmare to get it back into a dealer for it recently.

OP
OP
usnmustanger

usnmustanger

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, I really appreciate it.

Make sure there's engine oil in it! Seriously, recently got mine and it was extremely low.

I would try to negotiate the cam phasers right away. See if they will do it before you take it off the lot. Its been a nightmare to get it back into a dealer for it recently.
I'll definitely talk to them about this. I saw in some threads from earlier this year that parts were on a 2-3 month backorder, is that still the case? And if so, if I hear the tell-tale noise at startup only, is it still safe to drive while waiting on parts?

Related, I see the following 2 items on the Carfax report:
  • Manufacturer Customer Satisfaction Program issued
    • Program #21N08 PCM REPROGRAM DUE TO ENGINE SHUDDER
    • Program #21N03 CAM PHASERS
When these show up on the Carfax report, does that mean they were completed, or just that the CSP was issued for this VIN and not actually completed?

Thanks again for the replies!

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies so far, I really appreciate it.

I'll definitely talk to them about this. I saw in some threads from earlier this year that parts were on a 2-3 month backorder, is that still the case? And if so, if I hear the tell-tale noise at startup only, is it still safe to drive while waiting on parts?

Related, I see the following 2 items on the Carfax report:
    • Program #21N08 PCM REPROGRAM DUE TO ENGINE SHUDDER
    • Program #21N03 CAM PHASERS
When these show up on the Carfax report, does that mean they were completed, or just that the CSP was issued for this VIN and not actually completed?

Thanks again for the replies!
Those programs are extended coverage, no action is necessary. They indicate that the phaser recall was performed already, which was 21B10. If it doesn’t exhibit a rattle on cold start, it should be a non-issue.

OP
OP
usnmustanger

usnmustanger

Reaction score
Those programs are extended coverage, no action is necessary. They indicate that the phaser recall was performed already, which was 21B10. If it doesn’t exhibit a rattle on cold start, it should be a non-issue.
That's good to know, thanks. As far as "cold start", how cold should then engine be? 1hr cold? 2hr cold? More? It matters, since I have a narrow time window to check the truck out today, and I wanna make sure I'm able to check for the cam phaser rattle.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's good to know, thanks. As far as "cold start", how cold should then engine be? 1hr cold? 2hr cold? More? It matters, since I have a narrow time window to check the truck out today, and I wanna make sure I'm able to check for the cam phaser rattle.
Preferably an overnight cold soak so that the oil can drain from the VCT units and they are at base timing when started. Regardless, at 60k they’re included in the extended coverage through 21N03.