Looking at Raptors..(Gen 2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supermoose

Reaction score
Hey guys...new to the forum. I'm looking at potentially putting myself into a Raptor. I've wanted one ever since they came out. I was considering ordering a new Bronco but started looking at these and actually test drove a 2018 at my local Ford dealer. I really liked it...I'd be coming from a 2017 Subaru Forester.

I've found a 2018 that is listed at 65k with 9,500 on the clock. It has the 802a package and is a super crew. While it isn't the color I want...I could live with it, particularly with all the options. I'd prefer white, but it seems the white ones are generally more expensive.

That's probably going to be top of my budget. I've seen a few others that are low 60's with 30k or so on them. To me, it makes sense to spend another 2-3k in order to get the lower miles. Other than color, any reason to keep looking?

Anything else to be aware of or to consider? Thanks in advance for any pointers or things to think about.

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if your comin from a subie forester hope your prepared. And NO the white raptors are NOT more expensive. Good luck with your search

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF

2018 may, or may not have a plastic oil pan. Most are fine, but a small percentage leaked and if they did leak, stealership service departments seem to have a hard time implementing the repair correctly. Metal replacement pans came in part way through 2018. Metal ones are not known to leak with the frequency of the plastic pans.

’18 trucks didn’t have the latest cam phaser part revision, so if carfax doesn’t show the repair, get a cold soaked start up before deciding; that is, the truck has not been started for at least 12 hours. the giveaway is a marbles in a can sound at startup that lasts for a few seconds.

Moon roof tracks break fairly easily, make sure it works before agreeing. open to the vent position FIRST. If you hear a pop sound, it probably wasn’t used recently and likely not maintained. Once it’s open to vent, close it, open again, close it and then open to the rear. The glass to rubber can stick, causing the track to break and it can jam the glass panel. Popping to vent once almost always breaks that stiction enough to allow the glass to move rearward and not break anything.

Get a long test drive and make sure you don’t trip over anything oddball.

OP
OP
S

supermoose

Reaction score
Well if your comin from a subie forester hope your prepared. And NO the white raptors are NOT more expensive. Good luck with your search
Prepared for...worse gas mileage? Bigger vehicle? All of the above?

Welcome to FRF

2018 may, or may not have a plastic oil pan. Most are fine, but a small percentage leaked and if they did leak, stealership service departments seem to have a hard time implementing the repair correctly. Metal replacement pans came in part way through 2018. Metal ones are not known to leak with the frequency of the plastic pans.

’18 trucks didn’t have the latest cam phaser part revision, so if carfax doesn’t show the repair, get a cold soaked start up before deciding; that is, the truck has not been started for at least 12 hours. the giveaway is a marbles in a can sound at startup that lasts for a few seconds.

Moon roof tracks break fairly easily, make sure it works before agreeing. open to the vent position FIRST. If you hear a pop sound, it probably wasn’t used recently and likely not maintained. Once it’s open to vent, close it, open again, close it and then open to the rear. The glass to rubber can stick, causing the track to break and it can jam the glass panel. Popping to vent once almost always breaks that stiction enough to allow the glass to move rearward and not break anything.

Get a long test drive and make sure you don’t trip over anything oddball.
Thanks for the advice. Good things to look out for. I had read that the moonroofs were something that kind of broke frequently. I have one in my Forester and I couldn't tell you the last time I actually opened it.

pghraptor34

Reaction score
Hey guys...new to the forum. I'm looking at potentially putting myself into a Raptor. I've wanted one ever since they came out. I was considering ordering a new Bronco but started looking at these and actually test drove a 2018 at my local Ford dealer. I really liked it...I'd be coming from a 2017 Subaru Forester.

I've found a 2018 that is listed at 65k with 9,500 on the clock. It has the 802a package and is a super crew. While it isn't the color I want...I could live with it, particularly with all the options. I'd prefer white, but it seems the white ones are generally more expensive.

That's probably going to be top of my budget. I've seen a few others that are low 60's with 30k or so on them. To me, it makes sense to spend another 2-3k in order to get the lower miles. Other than color, any reason to keep looking?

Anything else to be aware of or to consider? Thanks in advance for any pointers or things to think about.
I came from a 2018 STI, while not a forester it's in the Subie family. My Raptor is my first truck, so I can tell you it's definitely an adjustment (especially in PA). Definitely be prepared for driving a bigger vehicle with worse gas mileage. Having said that, after the first couple weeks you get used to the bigger size. Parking is a challenge compared to a CUV or sedan, so plan ahead depending on where you are going. Driving on tight backroads is a little tough, but trust that you're in the lines and you won't have a problem once you get comfortable. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck, pull the trigger!

OP
OP
S

supermoose

Reaction score
I came from a 2018 STI, while not a forester it's in the Subie family. My Raptor is my first truck, so I can tell you it's definitely an adjustment (especially in PA). Definitely be prepared for driving a bigger vehicle with worse gas mileage. Having said that, after the first couple weeks you get used to the bigger size. Parking is a challenge compared to a CUV or sedan, so plan ahead depending on where you are going. Driving on tight backroads is a little tough, but trust that you're in the lines and you won't have a problem once you get comfortable. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck, pull the trigger!

Thanks for that information. I had an 07 STi for a few years that was all modded out. Ended up sitting after I blew the motor and rebuilt it...never trusted it again. Wholly self-induced. Then I went to Foresters.

I test drove two Raptors locally. Once to see what I thought and the second time to confirm whether I wanted to make the leap into one. Size is definitely bigger and in a former life (like high school and right past it) I drove F-450 stake bodies while landscaping, so I have some experience although that was years ago.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
With the cam phaser issue in the 18s, I'd try to look at the 19s and up.
With a good, cold soaked start up, not an immediate concern and since Ford has covered it long term, it’s not that much of a concern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arizona Free