Looking at Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WileyM

Reaction score
Like many, I’ve always wanted to get in to a Raptor, and I’m now deciding to get serious about looking. I’m looking at several Gen 1’s. I may post in the want to buy section also, but thought I’d start here. Am I better off to try and stay with a 13 or 14 versus the earlier ones? Also, is it better to try and stay at a ford dealer? I’ve found a 2012 with 97,000 miles thats at a Ford dealer so I’m thinking it may be a little safer than a couple of others at used car places with fewer miles. I know this dealer is replacing shocks and brakes before resale, and his mechanic says the truck looks like it’s been a pavement queen. Just curious on some thoughts from you all. Thanks very much in advance!

AJS44

Reaction score
Only big differences between a 12 and a 13 are the headlights (can be converted to projectors easily) and the version of the nav system which is personal preference. A 2012 with a dealer 100k service and fresh shocks should be great for the right price, just inspect it yourself to make sure its clean!

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get the carfax report for the raptor at the dealer and check for any warranty repairs as it will be listed, that's the bonus of getting it from the dealer over private. Crawl under the truck and look underneath for any visible dents, etc. That is low miles, which is also a bonus. Good luck, hope you get it. PS: Welcome to the place.

OP
OP
W

WileyM

Reaction score
Ok great, I’ll definitely look underneath and check for the warranties. Thanks sir. Hopefully I’ll be able to change my avatar soon to a new truck pic!

flynford

Reaction score
The dealer will sell you a warranty if not already but none the warranties will cover the NAV-Radio unit. Just be fore warned. ;-) I'll be surprised if any one will ever but yet to see/hear that being true. Doesn't matter as they hold up rather well as compared to some other manufacturers.

anothervr6kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I prefer the 13/14 over the earlier ones. I like the dash, nav and headlight more... it's all personal preference. I bought all of mine from out of state from different dealerships... I doesn't matter what dealership you buy it from, it's more if the truck is what you want and the ease of working with the sales guy. Take a look at a 12 and 13/14 in your area to see what you like and dislike on them.

I bought a low mileage, supercharged 12 from a Mercedes dealership in Houston in 2017. My cousin worked there (not in sales) and got me a great deal. He had a sales guy contact me to do the sale and he was fantastic to work with. I flew in late and stayed at his house. He had the truck at his house and the sales guy came over that night to do the paperwork so I can leave in the morning. I bought it based of off his word and pictures he sent me. It was a trade in from Dallas. Once he got it in and sent me some pictures, I put a deposit on it. It was a great deal, low mileage and I always wanted a supercharged truck. They did an oil change on it before I bought it and gave me a full tank of fuel.

I bought a 13 from a Ford dealership in Montana earlier this year. The guy ended up getting me the price I wanted (a few hundred bucks off), but he was very pushy until I gave him a deposit, then he became very unresponsive. I got it for a really good price given the options and low miles on it. He knew what he had on the lot and knew what he could get for it since it was at a Ford dealership. They didn't have any pictures posted for it online. It was a local trade in that came in a couple days before. He sent me all the specific pictures I requested, but he "forgot" to mention some stuff about it or take pictures of those areas. When I got there and saw it in person, I wasn't happy about a few things, but again, the price was good and it fit my budget and needs/wants. I flew up there and got in at night. He brought the truck to me at the hotel in the morning and we signed all the paperwork there and I took off. Sad part is, it barely had any fuel in it. He said they don't put fuel in used cars. I was kind of annoyed with him at this point, but at least I had a truck again.

OP
OP
W

WileyM

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the input guys! I think probably I’ll prefer a 13 or 14 also. However, I have an F150 that’s an 11 with the 6.2, and I really like it, so who knows. I’ve got 3 lined up at different places that I’m going to try and go look at and drive hopefully next week. Two of them are 12’s. One with 81,000 miles and the other only has 56,000. I love the looks of the one with lower mileage, but it’s $10,000 higher than the 12 with 96,000 miles. I’m thinking that’s too much of an increase for 40,000 miles? As some have said, I think the condition and history are probably more important than mileage, but I guess everything factors in. It sure is fun looking though!!

ninjazed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t 2013 the introduction of the Torsen differential also? The only difference i was able to identify between my 13 and the 14’s was the addition of a console vanity light in the latter.

TannerK17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the ‘13/‘14 will be worth more or at least more appealing to a buyer down the line with those small updates between the years if that’s ever a concern for you. Especially if this is a 2-3 year truck for you, those small small updates don’t show their age as much yet as I see it.

If you’re not concerned about re-sale or the “marketing” aspect of those couple little things (I.E. HID’s, Sync 2 & the small interior refinements) that a guy in the future may be looking for, then maybe go with the low mileage ‘12.

Also, if it’s any help for reference on price I’m in Nevada and my 2013 SCREW came from California with 52K miles on it for $37,500 in July of this year. 1 owner, clean history and super clean all around. Hope it helps!

Wasn’t 2013 the introduction of the Torsen differential also? The only difference i was able to identify between my 13 and the 14’s was the addition of a console vanity light in the latter.
2012 was the intro for the Torsen.