Looking at buying a used raptor - tips advice?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truck doesn't look like it's been offroad to me. The pic with shocks and wheel well look way too clean for that. I've got a 17 with almost 45k on it and mine isn't that clean. It's been offroad only a little, nothing serious.

As far as the price goes, I got mine for 60k (w/2k miles) back in 2019. Checked pricing a few months back and could sell it for about the same. Prices may have gone down a bit, but you're in California. You might get them down a little, but not to $50k.

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score
I bought a 2017 802a completely stock 1 owner no accidents with 33k miles for 61k earlier this year, window sticker shows $68,435. According to the bureau of labor and statistics website, in todays dollar with inflation that is $82,372.59 from 2017 to today.

So people can say “that’s a crazy price I’m not paying what that truck almost cost new!” All day if they want. But it’s not what it costs new. I’m not saying to buy it or don’t buy it but I wanted you to have a clear picture on what has happened to our money.

Anyway I took mine into ford they did cam phasers, oil & filter, replaced door locks, and brake booster & brake master cylinder for free under recall work. I didn’t have any other issues truck is great.

I ordered brand new raptor for Kalispell Ford in Montana as well. No dealer markup, just MSRP + $295 processing fee.

Good luck with your truck search!
How long will ford continue to do those cam phasers etc recalls ?

USMC-0351

Reaction score
I was told the extended warranty period was pushed to 70k miles. you could easily call a local dealer and verify that though. The dealership I went to was an absolute breeze to work with and that is not how my previously dealerships experiences have been in life lol. I think that truck you posted looks good, I don't know why everyone is being agro about it. It doesn't look like its been off road once. All that being said, unless you are very familiar with cars, getting a $90 PPI at a AAA shop, or going to the dealership for a PPI is always a safe bet. That truck is not far off fair market value. let us know what you end up getting!

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score
Truck doesn't look like it's been offroad to me. The pic with shocks and wheel well look way too clean for that. I've got a 17 with almost 45k on it and mine isn't that clean. It's been offroad only a little, nothing serious.

As far as the price goes, I got mine for 60k (w/2k miles) back in 2019. Checked pricing a few months back and could sell it for about the same. Prices may have gone down a bit, but you're in California. You might get them down a little, but not to $50k.
Yeah no way gonna get it down to 50, I’m gonna check it out and thoroughly inspect

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score
Without regard to price, I do not think that truck looks like it has ever been offroad. I would hazard to say that with the tire sidewalls looking smooth as new and riding on 20's, it probably hasn't been. Bumpers are like earings for street trucks, no red flags.

My '18 is a road warrior, been offroad a few times, couple scrapes here and there on skid plates. 102k miles and the original shocks are still fine, no hard hits, leaks or weird bouncing. Still rides like a cloud of tltties like the day I bought it. Again though it stays on the road 99 percent of the time. The shocks can be rebuilt.

No idea what the comment "the suspension will die in the future" even means. The rear springs do sag after a while. Mine sags cause I carry shit in the back on a daily basis. I like the look. lol. It rides great.

On the price, I would think $58k'ish would be more realistic. But if you like the aftermarket stuff you could pay more.
Thanks for the insight

Nap925

Reaction score
Check carfax and it wouldn't hurt to have a ford dealer inspect it and look at the service history, as well. There's been several notices from Ford, so hopefully the owner had the truck serviced.
If all things check out ad it's been serviced at regular intervals, go for it! Only thing now is the price.

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score
Check carfax and it wouldn't hurt to have a ford dealer inspect it and look at the service history, as well. There's been several notices from Ford, so hopefully the owner had the truck serviced.
If all things check out ad it's been serviced at regular intervals, go for it! Only thing now is the price.
So the car fax shows no real service done but I have a hard time believing somebody drove over 30k without changing the oil , I’m going to look at it then have it taken to a local ford dealer have them do a full inspection , read codes check cylinder compression and if it all passes I’ll use that info to buy a extended warranty from Ziegler

Attachments

• B3839BEB-E8C8-41A9-AF0D-C854274456C5.png
    B3839BEB-E8C8-41A9-AF0D-C854274456C5.png
    302.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 7232B68B-659C-45DF-96B7-A3285C97425D.png
    7232B68B-659C-45DF-96B7-A3285C97425D.png
    364.3 KB · Views: 7
  • AB7C1472-84F3-48D7-8746-977C43AD0193.png
    AB7C1472-84F3-48D7-8746-977C43AD0193.png
    346.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 9FD0C6ED-36AD-4F55-B9CE-080D175F88EF.png
    9FD0C6ED-36AD-4F55-B9CE-080D175F88EF.png
    342.3 KB · Views: 7

dspangler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the extended warranty for cam phasers only applies if the program was updated first. I believe all of that has expired anyway, so I would think you are on the hook for when the cam phasers fail.

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score
So, the extended warranty for cam phasers only applies if the program was updated first. I believe all of that has expired anyway, so I would think you are on the hook for when the cam phasers fail.
I was thinking of getting a Ziegler extended warranty but need to have a ford shop preform inspection first , see my post above about the carfax

OP
OP
S

Southocplumber

Reaction score

So I checked it out and truck looked nice but after looking at it I started putting things together in my head , skid plate showed scratches on it and as high as it is makes me wonder if it was jumped and bottomed out , the top of the after market bumper had rubbed agonist the lower part of grill housing like it had been pushed in and up like something that would happen if it was jumped and pushed back & then the rear kinda squats like possibly springs are worn. Sport mode as kinda jerky going through the gears. Not too sure about the trucks condition