Looking at a 2010 Ford Raptor SVT with under 100k miles.. how expensive to maintain them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a sharp truck. When I found mine I had a short list of must-haves, one was nav (and so decent backup camera, those rearview mirror ones are ridiculous) and the other was 6.2L (no firsthand experience against the 5.4L but the spark plug horror stories were enough for me). I'd rather have a SCAB but they are/were scarce and the SCREW gives you so much more space, and the 36gal tank.

Anyway to the actual question about maintenance cost, I rate it super cheap...until you come here lol! If you can resist the temptation to upgrade, it's next to nothing. Especially if you do your own maintenance, with the caveat that if you hammer the dogshit out of it, things will break/wear faster. I'm at 195k now, I'm averaging 5-6k miles a year working at home so this year maintenance cost me $47 for the Motorcraft filter and Mobile 1 oil at Walmart. Next year I want tires (I could milk them another couple years at this rate, but want em) so $1500-$2000 and that'll last me 5-ish years. At 200k I'll change fluids (transfer case, diffs, transmission-all done at 150k when I bought it), at 250k spark plugs (there's 16 of those little bastards) along with coolant, radiator hoses, brake fluid and serpentine belt (as preventative). Shocks yes good idea to buy new and have the originals rebuilt, if you're really industrious you can rebuild 'em yourself, but still, aside from tires (well and gas heh) that's your biggest expense, again depending on your use case. Hope that helps, good luck!

OP
OP
G
Reaction score
I know the yearning of wanting a Raptor but I agree with @thatJeppyguy rationale. Don't get me wrong, I want one and all to join the Raptor family but picking up a 2010 (least desirable year/engine) at your #s is a no go, especially knowing you'll spend $1.5K to $3K for post-purchase maintenance. GL brotha man!

Side note, I picked up my Gen1 with 115K at $34,500. In a blink of an eye, I've sank another $10K in maintenance/upgrades. Wanted the Gen3, but I couldn't justify a $100K truck because in the end... its just a truck, not a porsche. So I plan on keeping it until the wheels fall off and redirect the extra dough I have to more affordable but just as enjoyable things... like a Harley Low Rider ST ; )
1.5k-3k right after I buy it in maintenance?

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.5k-3k right after I buy it in maintenance?
Depends on what you do but yeah, the shocks are a huge one, I bought a new set and rotate them in but it can be $750 just to have them serviced. I believe servicing it can run just a little more than a standard F150. Shocks and tires are my biggest cost. It took me 2 1/2 years to save up enough to get it, but IMO it’s worth every penny. Now I have kept a spreadsheet with everything I have done to my truck. Servings, tires, brakes, bed covers, etc. from 11/10/2012 to 8/24/2022 I have spent $15,679.72 on it. I’m pretty sure I’m missing a few self done oil changes from when I first started my excel but since I’m at 245k in mileage that it’s about a close as you can get to what it cost to maintain my 2012 through my years. One thing is mine is not modified which a lot guys on here to which would greatly add to that expense. You are in a tight spot between want/wish/need and you will have to decide what to do, but I hope this info helps you.

OP
OP
G
Reaction score
Depends on what you do but yeah, the shocks are a huge one, I bought a new set and rotate them in but it can be $750 just to have them serviced. I believe servicing it can run just a little more than a standard F150. Shocks and tires are my biggest cost. It took me 2 1/2 years to save up enough to get it, but IMO it’s worth every penny. Now I have kept a spreadsheet with everything I have done to my truck. Servings, tires, brakes, bed covers, etc. from 11/10/2012 to 8/24/2022 I have spent $15,679.72 on it. I’m pretty sure I’m missing a few self done oil changes from when I first started my excel but since I’m at 245k in mileage that it’s about a close as you can get to what it cost to maintain my 2012 through my years. One thing is mine is not modified which a lot guys on here to which would greatly add to that expense. You are in a tight spot between want/wish/need and you will have to decide what to do, but I hope this info helps you.
Thats great info. I have a spare set of shocks coming in second hand. So even by gen 1 owners that I know have very different thoughts of maintenance costs. The ones who use them as pavement pounders say its cheap jsut the shocks every 50k miles is the big thing but besides that its just oil. Those that drive them hard quote what you do roughly for 10k+ over 10 years

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A raptor is probably the last vehicle I'd get just to drive pavement.

I'd send out that second set of shocks for a rebuild and do fluid flush and changes on everything. PS Fluid all the way back to the rear axle.

If it still has stock rear springs I'd get a set of Deavers. It's one mod that greatly improves on and off-road.

Maybe would be a rear bump stop and frame support. I'd say anything harder than running a dirt road, get them.

I got a good 6.2 SCAB for around $19K It's up to 188,000 miles

rschap1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Enjoying all the info here myself.
I ended up with my '11 6.2 because it was a deal I couldn't pass up.
Previous owner took my '10 Explorer as trade towards it, making it affordable enough that I could do it.
Otherwise buying one outright is too much $$ for me.
It is over 150thousand miles and could use some fixing.
Hoping to get at those when I can, but have been daily driving it in the mean time.
Shocks definitely need replace or rebuild (on the fence currently).
Few minor maintenance things; HVAC actuator, brake rotor needs truing, tire balance, but otherwise fairly set.
It has has rockers and body fixed up. So it looks a LOT better than most in my chloride covered area of Michigan.
Is it practical? Even with the price and deal I got, probably not the most.
But going from an old worn out 250k miles 4.0 v6 Explorer to a Raptor... LOTS more SMILES per gallon
:)
AND Silver Lake Sand Dunes aren't quite as fun as when riding with my brother in his FLYING pre-runner or a couple of my previous Broncos, but WAY more fun than my stock 1996 (O.J.) Bronco or any of our Expeditions.