looking at a 2010 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caboguy

Reaction score
hi
new guy here looking at a 2010 5.4 w/ 135k miles on it. truck is super clean and runs well,but heard
a few rumors about the dohc and the spark plug stripping issues.
i know you guys really know your stuff so any help would be appriciated.

Sozzy12

FRF Addict
Reaction score
5.4 is not DOHC. It is SOHC with 3 valves per cylinder.
The spark plug issue was worked out well before 2010. Just check it out for signs of valvetrain problems. They are noisy motors, but knocks are not normal. Oil needs to be kept clean and coolant needs flushed regularly.
Good luck and post pics.

Livernois Motorsports

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you are correct on ticking noise being very common. We created a 50 state carb compliant tune and lockout kit for these motors to eliminate the cam phaser issue. This is what makes that noise 99.9% of the time. We have customers that will just put new phasers on and noise comes back due to restriction of oil pressure through the phaser. Rest of engine gets great oil pressure though. So if you tow you may like the more low end power also. My name is Jake if you have any questions message me or call me at 313-561-5500 thanks