Long winded Gen 1 VS Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Correction of the Correction: one is like PBR, the other is a 12 year old scotch.
I guess that makes the Jen Tres a solid 10-12 year old bourbon. Since most scotch needs to finish in bourbon barrels to taste good :p

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I said it, prove me wrong. I'll be waiting on my Texas gift pack.
Man, I hope you’re not looking for class leading bourbon from here. I’ve had some good bourbon made in TX, but not outstanding bourbon. Of course, even an average bourbon is better than good scotch :p

For good bourbon, look to Virginia, or former Virginia counties like Kentucky.

Now, I did have a neighbor who was into scotch. I will take exception to the 20 year mark as follows.

Oban 8 and 16. 8yo is a great bang for the buck. Glen Deveron 16 - got it in the Heathrow duty free. Balvenie 14 Caribbean cask, 16 (again, picked up in Heathrow), 17 are all great expressions. The MacAllan, Mac 18 both great.
Glenmorangie Signet and a couple more that are respectable, albeit not bourbon.

Being in Texas, Tequila is big here. The drink, not the region of Mexico. I’m very tentatively dipping my toes in those waters too.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Man, I hope you’re not looking for class leading bourbon from here. I’ve had some good bourbon made in TX, but not outstanding bourbon. Of course, even an average bourbon is better than good scotch :p

Now, I did have a neighbor who was into scotch. I will take exception to the 20 year mark as follows.

Oban 8 and 16. 8yo is a great bang for the buck. Glen Deveron 16 - got it in the Heathrow duty free. Balvenie 14 Caribbean cask, 16 (again, picked up in Heathrow), 17 are all great expressions. The MacAllan, Mac 18 both great.

Being in Texas, Tequila is big here. The drink, not the region of Mexico. I’m very tentatively dipping my toes in those waters too.

Had Glenlivet Code at a high end steak house a few weeks back. Pretty good.

Sorry OP.

AvalancheGrey2017

Reaction score

we have similar tastes. balvenie and macallen are my favorites. Cant stand the peaty stuff. if you get a chance take a look at the 21 year balvenie aged in port barrels. now thats a treat.

been into japenese whiskey as of late....great stuff out there rivaling a lot of bourbons.

smurfslayer

Reaction score
I’ve had Balvenie 21, my neighbor shared with me, very good stuff. Bang for the buck though, 14 Caribbean cask would be my choice. have not tried 17 yet.

I’ve had some really good, complex Japanese whiskies. I’d say they rival a lot of scotch big names, but bourbon is a different class of whiskey, and ages in barrels half the size of Scotch. a 16 y.o. bourbon is roughly equivalent to a 30 year old scotch, at a very high level.