long-term reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zprins44

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm new here, so forgive me if this has already been posted. I am looking at trading in my current car for a 2017 Raptor SuperCrew this upcoming weekend. It has 53k and change miles on it, and I will find out more when I go to see it on Saturday. I was wondering, what is the long-term reliability like on these trucks, and what are things I should look out for/ask about when I go to look at it this weekend?

I appreciate the help!

DougDimmadome

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At 53K the shocks are due for a rebuild, and there is a bit of issues with the cam phasers but you'll hear the engine ticking when that rears its ugly head. Beyond that they're pretty reliable trucks.

OP
OP
Z

Zprins44

Reaction score
At 53K the shocks are due for a rebuild, and there is a bit of issues with the cam phasers but you'll hear the engine ticking when that rears its ugly head. Beyond that they're pretty reliable trucks.
my buddy was telling me about the cam phasers, what all does that entail if they're bad? Oil changes often should help avoid that correct?

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my buddy was telling me about the cam phasers, what all does that entail if they're bad? Oil changes often should help avoid that correct?
I don't think there's a way to avoid it. I change my oil every 3k, but if my suspicions are correct I've had the issue since the truck was new.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plastic oil pan in 2017. The pan being plastic itself isn't necessarily a problem but they leak like crazy

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I'm new here, so forgive me if this has already been posted. I am looking at trading in my current car for a 2017 Raptor SuperCrew this upcoming weekend. It has 53k and change miles on it, and I will find out more when I go to see it on Saturday. I was wondering, what is the long-term reliability like on these trucks, and what are things I should look out for/ask about when I go to look at it this weekend?

I appreciate the help!
You'll be fine as reliability goes. Cam phasers are all that usually go bad but there very apparent on cold starts so as long as this 2017 Raptor doesn't have that you should be good. Maintenence wise Fox advises to rebuild the shocks every 50k miles so you'd need a rebuild if it hasn't been done yet. Good luck!

GoDucks

Reaction score
I have 58k miles and honestly don't think shock need rebuilding, my truck rides no different than my friends 2020 raptor that has 21k miles. I been off road on sand dunes a few times, hit trails exploring 10x, towed a 6k pound fishing boat 3x per year. I am going to buy new shocks maybe around 70k miles. Cam phasers TSB was done at 45k. My only issue I've had that I can't figure out is my front camera blue screen, put in new camera and no fix yet.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There was an issue with the calibration that was causing premature wear to the locking mechanism, resulting in chatter on a cold start. Be sure that recall 21B10 was completed, that is the new software. If the recall was completed prior to 2/28/22, the truck also qualifies for extended warranty coverage under program 21N03.

Oil changes are critical, especially on turbocharged engines. Be sure to verify the maintenance records.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Cam phasers likely warrantied.
Shocks may need a rebuild.
I’m at 54k now, original owner, no major issues with truck, shocks are also fine for awhile. Off road and some towing with truck, too.