Long Crank, HELP, Mechanic is stumped.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parappa The Rapta

Reaction score
Hey guys hopefully someone has experienced this before. I started having random long cranks about a year ago. I initially thought it was a bad battery because I was coming up on 90xxx miles. So I replaced that and the problem persisted. Finally, I got so tired of the problem I took it to a very reputable mechanic and had them take a look. They called me back and said my fuel pump was bad and my fuel control module was likely also bad, they even said one was running at a lower pressure than required.

I replaced both and nothing... it still happened randomly. So I took it back, they kept it for 8 days and gave me a loaner so I know they wanted to get it done asap. From what they said, they let it run for hours for a heat soak test, did multiple starts etc, everything and could not replicate. So I take it home and boom! this morning that same dam thing.

Car stats
2019 Raptor
95,000 miles

Threw a code once, which I believe was Pc006? which was low fuel rail pressure. It happens on inclines, it happens when it's level, it happens when it's been driven a short distance, and after a long-distance trip. There seems to be no pattern here so if anyone has any insight I'm all ears.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Was the DTC P00C6? If so, that DTC is for Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low - Engine Cranking.

This DTC is for the high pressure fuel system; it can be caused by lack of volume/pressure from the low side or a fault with the high pressures pump, solenoid, or injectors.

Have you ever used any additives in the fuel tank? It’s not uncommon for the paper or plastic bottle seal to end up in the tank and intermittently block flow to the fuel pickup.

If the low side pressure was verified to be within spec when the fault occurred, the high pressure side will need to be diagnosed.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This sounds very similar to a friends issue he had years ago, I think his was a 17. But if I recall, it turned out something was leaking pressure when shut off. So upon start, the pumps had to re-pressurize the system. His always started, but took a few seconds of cranking.

James O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might try to cycle and prime the system by switching to run position a couple times then start it up as normal. If it does not do the long crank then its something with fueling. Maybe a clogged line or faulty new pump. I dont think these trucks have a fuel filter but if they do I would certainly check it.