Lockable Storage options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know there are a few threads about lockable storage, but they mostly include firearms, and that is not my primary use. The scenario is for someone who does outdoor activities, for example surfing. You pull up to your favorite surf spot, change into your wetsuit and grab your board. Where do you lock your keys, wallet and cell phone? I was excited about having a vehicle with a code entry, so I would not have to worry about keeping a key in my wetsuit or using the trailer hitch safe. However, the key FOB being stored inside the vehicle could technically send a signal, and it could be started and stolen? Especially if it's in the center console? Is the only other option, lockable storage under the rear seat? I've seen that also, but it looks like you would end up losing storage in the rear since it cannot fold back down when not in use. Again, key inside the vehicle, and it can be started and stolen without defeating any lock?

Help the adventure people on the forum out. What are we looking for before hiking, kayaking, biking, surfing etc… that would be the most secure? Thiefs here in So Cal sit in parking lots with binoculars and look at where surfers put their spare keys. Most idiots put them under the vehicle in the frame. Then they leave for 2 hours, giving theifs plenty of time to find the keys and take wallet and cell phone. Had it happen to me and by the end of my surf session they already put 40k on my credit cards.

I'm in production, so this is the first mod I need to do in order to truly use my vehicle when it comes in. I spend a lot of time in Baja so if anyone has any kill switch recommendations also I'd love to hear them. Theft is a big problem here on the West Coast, and it's only getting worse with current CA politics along with the fact that there are not many of these vehicles in production, and they are highly desirable.

jm77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along similar lines, is there some sort of signal blocking bag a key could be put in and would prevent the car from being started/unlocked if left in the car?

DBR2022

Reaction score
I don’t know about Ford. But my wife’s Mazda CX-9 will disable any key fob that is left inside the vehicle when it is turned off and locked (with another key fob… ahh that’s the catch).

Anyway, I have a Lock’rdown console safe in the center console of my 2013 F150 and I love it.

OP
OP
S

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don’t know about Ford. But my wife’s Mazda CX-9 will disable any key fob that is left inside the vehicle when it is turned off and locked (with another key fob… ahh that’s the catch).

Anyway, I have a Lock’rdown console safe in the center console of my 2013 F150 and I love it.
I was wondering if anyone was concerned about security. The Lock'rdown console seems to be the most common for sure. Does yours have a combination or a key?

I guess I can purchase a different box inside that blocks the signal for the key fob? Man these raptors must only be used for starbucks and malls for sure!

DBR2022

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone was concerned about security. The Lock'rdown console seems to be the most common for sure. Does yours have a combination or a key?

I guess I can purchase a different box inside that blocks the signal for the key fob? Man these raptors must only be used for starbucks and malls for sure!
I upgraded to the "exxxtreme console safe and the electronic lock". I really like it. The exxxtreme upgrade adds a plate on top that covers the seams to eliminate any "pry points"
I can access my truck and my safe without having my keys on me. Perfect!

I added the dealer installed Console Vault on my 22 Raptor order.. which will be installed by the dealership once it lands. I wish I didn't have to - because that one will have a simple 4 digit combo lock, which is not as nice as the electronic lock upgrade. But I know that I will have limited "mod money" when the truck lands - and I've gotten really used to having a safe in the truck. I hope it's as nice!

RotorOver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the only other option, lockable storage under the rear seat? I've seen that also, but it looks like you would end up losing storage in the rear since it cannot fold back down when not in use.
The lockable storage under the rear seat is called "fold flat storage" and does indeed fold down when not in use, if you want it to.