Livernois Procharger Install-Advice/Input Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m starting to come around to the idea, no matter how painful it sounds right now.
I know how you feel, I paid $9000 for a crate engine (different vehicle) which came with a water pump and oil pan and valve covers, that's it from Ford Racing, with all of the accessories I bought, all new , it was more than double that and I installed it myself. I didn't even use the water pump that came with it and I sure wasn't going to use any of the older parts from my last engine, even though some parts only had a 1000 miles on them. It just doesn't make sense to use any old parts once you are building a project, let alone opening up an engine. Trust me, this is a project. If you want reliability, do it right. I've done it the cheaper route before and I have had bad luck thinking like that. Most members that add a whipple s/c will even change out the alternator because it's a pain in the ars to change later, stuff like that should be considered as well. You don't want to take this apart afterwards. Good luck and I know you will do it right, since you came here looking for advice. Our advice is expensive, ha ha. Because we are Raptor enthusiast and don't want to see a good member being lead down the wrong path.

OP
OP
Evil Peaches

Evil Peaches

Reaction score
I’m going to see if they can itemize the cost of parts. Labor is labor, I respect that. I just went through the list of OEM parts they had listed and checked Tasca. If you go off the MSRP, all the OEM parts would run about $1,000. If I bought them through Tasca I could pick ‘em up for about $650.

I was expecting $5,000-$7,000 for the quote, I think I’m just going through several stages of mourning after seeing five digits is all.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On average Whipple and Roush installed complete on low to mid mileage engines
have ranged from $9,500 to $14,000, this all depends on what kit and where.
And these prices are from years ago so I'm sure it's gone up.
Procharger is the cheapest route but not Raptor friendly. And don't take that the wrong way,
you're intitled to choose what you want but if you go that route you need to except what Livernois is recommending.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On average Whipple and Roush installed complete on low to mid mileage engines
have ranged from $9,500 to $14,000, this all depends on what kit and where.
Procharger is the cheapest route but not Raptor friendly. And don't take that the wrong way,
you're intitled to choose what you want but if you go that route you need to except what Livernois is recommending.
The procharger tuning has got me thinking about standalone engine management. Know of anyone who has tried this?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope
You need to understand that the Raptor's PCM does engine management from the thrust calculation of the output of the tranny and visa-versa.
If you try a standalone ECU then the tranny won't work.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The procharger tuning has got me thinking about standalone engine management. Know of anyone who has tried this?

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope
You need to understand that the Raptor's PCM does engine management from the thrust calculation of the output of the tranny and visa-versa.
If you try a standalone ECU then the tranny won't work.
Dang it, guess you’ll have to switch to a manual valve body then…….. lol

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not turning this into a thread of Gen 1 vs Gen 2. How every post on here devolves into that is beyond me. I wanted a Gen 2, I would have bought one. I’m not throwing shade at Livernois OR Gen 2s, all I’m asking is if the general consensus is the above parts are necessary or HIGHLY recommended.
Believe me, I hear what you're saying and I don't think anyone here is trying to suggest that. Regardless, this is certainly a significant investment and I wouldn't expect to recover the cost long term, if at all. I am always tempted to get the VMP TVS for my Cobra, less than $6k out the door for 600WHP+ and OEM level reliability since it's an Eaton unit and the boost increase is minimal; the majority of power increase is in the efficiency of the blower. And of course the Terminator engine is factory supercharged.

If the truck is your DD, I would be hesitant from both a cost and reliability standpoint. A few guys with Gen 1 trucks on here have had failures recently and they can't even find replacement engines because they're all on backorder. So if it's your project truck and you're fine with the cost and risks, why not. But if you need your truck to get you to work, I'd reconsider.

TrailRunner

Reaction score
My personal opinion is that you can’t put a price on peace of mind… buy once cry once.

I’m very interested in supercharging my 6.2L but until I’m financially secure enough to drop the $10k+ I’m going to wait. My thought is that if I can’t do it right the first time, there’s no point in doing it now. I’d trust the professionals and either cough up the coin or save up to do the work.

Or just get your priorities straight and take out that second mortgage :Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh: