GEN 2 Livernois or Cobb tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ralphy1798

Reaction score
+1 for Livernois, great customer service, truck has great power!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hammer73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got great results with Whipple. They are very close to Ford Engineering. Latest tunes include the transmission updates. Runs up to 93octane and no messing with special tow maps. Performance gain is, from numbers I have seen from Cobb, very similar. It’s been good for me, but by all means, decide for yourself.

18 SCrew Magnetic, Roush CAI. Whipple tuned. SPD adapters, Kooks Green catted down pipes. HF & VHF Connected.

OP
OP
R

Raptorx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got great results with Whipple. They are very close to Ford Engineering. Latest tunes include the transmission updates. Runs up to 93octane and no messing with special tow maps. Performance gain is, from numbers I have seen from Cobb, very similar. It’s been good for me, but by all means, decide for yourself.

18 SCrew Magnetic, Roush CAI. Whipple tuned. SPD adapters, Kooks Green catted down pipes. HF & VHF Connected.

Thanks for the comments. Will take a look at the whipple also.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between Livernois with CAI or the Cobb tune with CAI. looking for some feedback. I am not looking to gain max HP, but something better than stock. Does one of these offer more than the other with regards to reliability and features?

I would look at getting a tune that also addresses the transmission tune/strategy....otherwise you’re paying same price for quite literally 1/2 a tune, AND the added power may not translate to equal added performance as the trans will still be on factory tune- right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing type of thing. I’ll leave ya w/ this- take 2 bone stock mustang GTs, ones a manual & the other automatic- otherwise identical. Have both tuned @ the same ship 99.9% of the time the auto car will dyno Lower but run faster down the 1/4 mile, why? Well it dynos lower due to higher parasitic drivetrain loss w/ the auto tranny & torque converter, but it runs faster because of the trans tuning.

On other hand if you were to leave the ECM tuning timing/AF ratio etc identical on both cars but had the auto mustang flashed back to the stock tranny tune even w/ the additional power more than likely it would then have trouble beating the manual car.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would look at getting a tune that also addresses the transmission tune/strategy....otherwise you’re paying same price for quite literally 1/2 a tune, AND the added power may not translate to equal added performance as the trans will still be on factory tune- right hand doesn’t know what the left is doing type of thing. I’ll leave ya w/ this- take 2 bone stock mustang GTs, ones a manual & the other automatic- otherwise identical. Have both tuned @ the same ship 99.9% of the time the auto car will dyno Lower but run faster down the 1/4 mile, why? Well it dynos lower due to higher parasitic drivetrain loss w/ the auto tranny & torque converter, but it runs faster because of the trans tuning.

On other hand if you were to leave the ECM tuning timing/AF ratio etc identical on both cars but had the auto mustang flashed back to the stock tranny tune even w/ the additional power more than likely it would then have trouble beating the manual car.

This isn't quite correct. The truck has 2 main control modules (actually MANY more than that, but we'll just stick to these 2). Just tuning 1 does not make it "half" a tune. Just because you eat dinner and don't have dessert doesn't make it "half" a meal. You might just be content with dinner.

Also, 99% of drivers lose to an auto transmission because you, or I, or a professional driver simply cannot shift faster than a computer looking at tons of channels at millions of cycles per second. Not because of a transmission tune.

It is not the end of the world without transmission tuning. Does a truck feel better, shift better with a tune? Perhaps. But does a truck require transmission tuning to gain a solid noticeable bump in power and performance? No.