Livernois Head/Cam Package power loss confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

myersroofer614

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I'm in Detroit and was about to use Livernois for stage 1, engine has 100k n want new head work, I'm glad I read this.. JLT CAI, JDM Tune, and valve job on factory heads sound better choice by Diamond Fab.. I ve read valve springs are a weak point on these 6.2. want to freshen them up .
Anyone use JLT cai ?

Marlboroman

Reaction score
Hey so I spoke to another guy. Really resourceful. Talk to Chris. I’ll add that I should have this spare long block built and installed by October. Damn thing is so clean it would have gone another 200k .

Attachments

• 0E018F7C-50F9-40D8-B6EC-82167F475CF1.jpeg
    0E018F7C-50F9-40D8-B6EC-82167F475CF1.jpeg
    231.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 42AD5C0E-557E-460A-BA08-F45FD6D6FC66.jpeg
    42AD5C0E-557E-460A-BA08-F45FD6D6FC66.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 15
  • B67098A5-4E9D-4327-B96F-70A4A4CFDF06.jpeg
    B67098A5-4E9D-4327-B96F-70A4A4CFDF06.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 16
  • AE23730C-6DE4-4E39-B5B2-033D2E072851.jpeg
    AE23730C-6DE4-4E39-B5B2-033D2E072851.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
OP
OP
A

akley88

Reaction score
I’d really like to know the outcome also. I took my spare engine down this weekend with plans on sending the heads to them for stage 3. I’ve spoken to them twice, once to a very nice and smart guy that genuinely knew what he was talking about. The second time to a cocky little guy that didn’t seem to want to deal with it. I’m not bashing or judging, just really want to know. Most if not all the threads regarding these cams end just like this. No real discussion as to what happened in the end. I’m happy to spend money as I have a budget planned. They seem to be highly recommended but at the end of the day I’ve yet to see a thread supporting this upgrade be it n/a or forced induction. Anyway I’m going to call one more time I hope to talk to the first guy again.
sorry for leaving this thread to wither. so outcome was nothing impressive to me. they might have slightly help offset the power lost due to 4.88 gear swap and larger tires. they might be worth it with forced induction. but if i had to do it over again i would just go with the whipple. the tuning was kind of tricky to get figured out. i have no codes or issues just not the power gain expected. i have reached out to 5 star tuning and they are going to help me get some more adjustments done as well as some more trans tuning done.
i will find out if these are worth it with a whipple cause i just ordered one this weekend since the sale price was so good. i have talked to another f250 owner that has these cams but not the heads and a whipple. he is running 11 psi and put down 552whp and 525wtq. i dont plan on going above 9psi with the stock short block.

Marlboroman

Reaction score
Right on, I’m not expecting massive 200hp power increases. I really just want to rev the **** out of it. Considering their higher compression pistons as well. Our central air took a shit a month ago and the motor build came to a screeching halt. Thanks for the reply, glad they got it sorted out. For what it’s worth I wouldn’t let 5star tune my lawnmower. Maybe look for a local tuner instead.

OP
OP
A

akley88

Reaction score
ive never had an issue with 5 star in the past, they are what i had on my truck before i did long tubes. any particular reason you dont like them?
i have a local tuner that did the tuning on the truck but he only does HP tuners and a bunch of the tables for tuning my trans arent there. i have asked for additional ones and HP added like 1 or 2.

as far as the power gains, the people i had talked to at livernois had said something like 50 hp gain with the package. so i wasnt expecting a crazy gain just enough to offset the gear swap and tires. but the truck lost about 40 whp and 20 wtq. maybe ifi pushed the rpms up but i have the rev limiter set to 6100 in gear. The tuner had said it just seemed like nothing needed to be adjusted for the cams/heads. truck just ran fine with almost the same tune.

long term i would still like to go forged internals and aim for 600 whp/tq on 37s. nothing overly crazy since i still tow a 10k camper a couple time a year.

Marlboroman

Reaction score
I was having knock issues. The more they tried to fix it the worse it got in some revisions. At one point the truck popped like a suburu when I let off the gas. Then came the “we’ve tuned hundred of these trucks” and are you sure it’s not this or that and not us. I gave up at that point and ordered a tune from OZ. Runs like a top now and haven’t even changed a plug wire. Passes emissions with all systems on as well which the 5 star tune would not. I wouldn’t even try it as the 02 sensors are/were disabled on mine. No headers or anything on the truck so I didn’t even ask them to do it. The system would never show ready no matter how long I left the tune on. Now granted if I ever need that tune I have it but would I run it? Probably not because I’m happy with how she’s running now as it sits. After heads and cams I will be tuning local. Which really should be done anyway I think with those modifications.

OP
OP
A

akley88

Reaction score
makes sense. a negative experience would make me stay away from a company. its kind of how i feel about Livernois. long term id like to go forged short block and will go with a local builder or possibly MMR, but i see mixed reviews.

Last edited:

mpk1996

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I really don’t get with these cams (and I want a set) is how they are supposed to be for both NA and blown. Never done them in this truck, but back in my mustang drag racing days, the cams are different to optimize for NA vs forced induction. Kinda like CR. I mean they have a set of 9.0:1 and 11.x:1 pistons avail. Obviously one for NA and one for forced induction. So why not cams?