Livernois Head/Cam Package power loss confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

akley88

Reaction score
The truck runs fine and tows fine. But still not happy with the numbers. Honestly if I could do over again I wouldn't bother with the cams/heads. Ben I can try repulling the tune and see if there is a difference.
The biggest disappointment is that Livernois never returned calls or messages even after telling me one of their tuners would call me.

Last edited:

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s disappointing that they never called back and don’t comment on here either. Your truck should pull like a R A P E D ape as per their advertising.

OP
OP
A

akley88

Reaction score
i just picked up a short block to build with forged internals to run a whipple. i think im going to skip using these heads in the build. i did try reaching out to another big tuner in my area to see if they can take a look as well. waiting to hear back to see what they have to say.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A local tuner should be able to get you dialed in.

Forged + blower will be sweet! Don't fear the heads, just find someone who can help you work with them. You are going to want to find a tuner when you start cranking up the boost, so developing a relationship now will be a good start!

OP
OP
A

akley88

Reaction score
A local tuner should be able to get you dialed in.

Forged + blower will be sweet! Don't fear the heads, just find someone who can help you work with them. You are going to want to find a tuner when you start cranking up the boost, so developing a relationship now will be a good start!
the tuner i have been using had great success with the headers and retune. Truck gained 60 whp and 40wtq with those and a retune. But he will admit that this is his first time trying to tune a 6.2 with cam and head swap. maybe i just need to find another tuner that has more experience with these trucks. unfortunately shipping my truck to Michigan is not possible.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Picking up that much power and torque tells me he is headed in the right direction. The 6.2l configuration is very similar to the mustang config so if he has done a few of those he should have a good idea of what needs changing.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the tuner i have been using had great success with the headers and retune. Truck gained 60 whp and 40wtq with those and a retune. But he will admit that this is his first time trying to tune a 6.2 with cam and head swap. maybe i just need to find another tuner that has more experience with these trucks. unfortunately shipping my truck to Michigan is not possible.

Nothing really changes as far as the approach to tuning an engine just because it has large cams and ported heads. If your tuner can tune that engine/ECU combo, thats all there is to it.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tuning a NA engine is as basic as it gets. Generally AFR and ignition timing is all you get. The aftermarket camshaft REQUIRES additional steps to set the lobe centers for best results with the specific camshaft. If you have a VVT setup, the cam timing must be set for best results with the selected cams as well. The cam spec sheet usually has all the pertinent information for setting up it up.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I get the feeling there are some "expert tuning" contributors in this thread who haven't even opened a tuning program for one of these trucks...

It is easier to tune a blower on any copperhead OS than it is to optimize camshafts, especially if you want it to drive well. It takes time and patience, the tuner needs to put street miles on it as well as dyno time.

Last edited: