Livernois 6.6l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford crate 427 long block, not production, but many produced, way more than the 6.6l though.
Yeah, Ford Performance catalog has nice engines in it. But they’re definitely more on the cookie cutter side. Basic shelf rods/pistons, not really ported heads (just a good casting), relatively “mild” camshafts so the valve trains is nothing crazy, etc..

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, Ford Performance catalog has nice engines in it. But they’re definitely more on the cookie cutter side. Basic shelf rods/pistons, not really ported heads (just a good casting), relatively “mild” camshafts so the valve trains is nothing crazy, etc..
Exactly, I could of got a built engine from a local mechanic, but it was basically the same price, I also got a lot of tech support from Ford for my build and a 3 year warranty and good drivability. But along with what the OP was asking about long term reliability this type of engine is the way to go for the everyday driver who wants more power and durability.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly, I could of got a built engine from a local mechanic, but it was basically the same price, I also got a lot of tech support from Ford for my build and a 3 year warranty and good drivability. But along with what the OP was asking about long term reliability this type of engine is the way to go for the everyday driver who wants more power and durability.
Yeah. That warranty of tech support especially are priceless.

I think the Livernois stuff would have the same type of durability and reliability. It’s just a bit more expensive being custom parts, and I think Livernois builds them to a higher standard than what you see in a catalog crate motor.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah. That warranty of tech support especially are priceless.

I think the Livernois stuff would have the same type of durability and reliability. It’s just a bit more expensive being custom parts, and I think Livernois builds them to a higher standard than what you see in a catalog crate motor.
100%, and their install price with all of those extra parts is a no brainer, why would you install yourself: new motor, intake, exhaust, tuning (dyno), fluids and warranty. Plus Plus.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe reverse plan this. Decide on a real power goal then start looking at what engine combo is going to make that power in the most reliable manor. Can you get there on a stock bottom end? Can you run a forged bottom end and boost to get there? Do you need extra displacement to get you there reliably? Does this need to pass emissions? More questions, but ultimately it all relies on how much power you want to make, once you answer that question figuring out the rest of the engine is a lot easier. You will save a lot of money and time working this from back to front. The real pain is going to come when you try to figure out how to put that power to the pavement in an effective way.

I don't believe you need a stroker to hit the limit on one of these blocks, just the right boost source.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Livernois rates their engine at 1000hp ish IIRC. Which I'm sure the block and good parts can handle. If you're trying to make more than that (really if you want 1000hp) you should probably just look at a different vehicle to go fast in, or you have a budget where you're not really concerned about what things cost (or at least you should lol)..