Live Valve Issue? Rides Harder than Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NHDude4

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read your post on the forscan thread and bookmarked the link. Great find/clue and thanks for sharing!!! This will be very valuable once springs settle in and a great service check!
You bet. I plan to check this every so often as I’m sure it will change a bit over time.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
BOOM! Found this link and tried this in FORScan. There’s one minor difference but the software had a clear explanation for the procedure to put the live shocks in engineering mode. Just took it for a ride on a rough road and it’s a pronounced improvement!View attachment 373496
Good work. I really miss the way my '18 felt. New one isn't horrible, just different.

I know people love live shocks but my experience with them on escalades has been horrible. If they were optional I would not have them.

Fat_Kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big bumps are fine, but smaller high-frequency bumps come through more than they should.
I have the exact same thoughts about mine. Every time I see a dip or speed bump or whatever, Im sure to hit it at a decent speed to see the response. That being said, on the concrete roads I travel to and from work, there are "joints" where the road is split into sections... These joints seem to make their way into the cab much more than other more substantial obstacles. I see this trend regardless of drive mode.

My thought is that its normal for the type of roads we travel.

OP
OP
NHDude4

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the exact same thoughts about mine. Every time I see a dip or speed bump or whatever, Im sure to hit it at a decent speed to see the response. That being said, on the concrete roads I travel to and from work, there are "joints" where the road is split into sections... These joints seem to make their way into the cab much more than other more substantial obstacles. I see this trend regardless of drive mode.

My thought is that its normal for the type of roads we travel.
Great comment, thanks. This makes me think some degree of jolt from abrupt, low-amplitude bumps is normal for the truck. I think my expectations just aren't in line with reality and a lot of guys just don't think about those jolts as unusual. The little depressions for manhole covers (which are rarely flush with the road in my area) are the most frustrating and noticeable. After recalibrating my shocks it's better over some bumps but I do think some jolt in just inherent to the truck's setup.

Fat_Kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great comment, thanks. This makes me think some degree of jolt from abrupt, low-amplitude bumps is normal for the truck. I think my expectations just aren't in line with reality and a lot of guys just don't think about those jolts as unusual. The little depressions for manhole covers (which are rarely flush with the road in my area) are the most frustrating and noticeable. After recalibrating my shocks it's better over some bumps but I do think some jolt in just inherent to the truck's setup.
For sure, man. I agree that this is normal. Dont get me wrong, the truck is amazing and absorbs a ton and I'm super happy with it. I did expect a little smoother ride under certain circumstances, though. Im planning to lower my tire pressure and see what that does. I'll try and remember to make another comment afterward. Good luck!

silverRap22

Reaction score
I changed the re-calibrated the value settings on my 22 37pp with forscan and it made quite a bit of difference. I had tried reducing the tire pressure but still didn't seem correct to me, so I went the forscan route and it seemed to help.

cplreyes

Reaction score
I'm at 1500 miles. Love the truck for the most part. The one thing I've thought since driving off the dealer's lot is that the ride doesn't seem that smooth. In Normal suspension it seems jiggly and I figured out it's more composed in Sport suspension. Still, on slightly irregular roads it does not seem to glide over bumps like my Gen 2 did. Big bumps are fine, but smaller high-frequency bumps come through more than they should.

Anyone else feel the same? Is there a way to check that my shocks don't need recalibration?

Before anyone asks, my cold tire pressures are 38psi front, 37psi rear.
In my experience, progressive shocks that are intended for hard impacts (jumping, etc.) are stiffer at the beginning of the travel to better absorb the initial impact, it then smooths out. This translates to a stiffer ride on flat surfaces and rougher roads. I know what you mean though. My $2500 MTB hard tail had the same issue because it was set up primarily as a dirt jumper. It rattled my brain over washboards. I eventually swapped out the internals to be a trail bike. You can contact SDI and see if their algorithms and revalve address this issue. It’s probably the best mod for a raptor anyway.

OP
OP
NHDude4

NHDude4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, progressive shocks that are intended for hard impacts (jumping, etc.) are stiffer at the beginning of the travel to better absorb the initial impact, it then smooths out. This translates to a stiffer ride on flat surfaces and rougher roads. I know what you mean though. My $2500 MTB hard tail had the same issue because it was set up primarily as a dirt jumper. It rattled my brain over washboards. I eventually swapped out the internals to be a trail bike. You can contact SDI and see if their algorithms and revalve address this issue. It’s probably the best mod for a raptor anyway.
Your explanation makes a lot of sense and I think you're spot on. Since making this thread I updated that I checked calibration of my shocks with FORScan and they thought they were about an inch more compressed than they were, making the ride harder. After recalibrating it's much better but it's small, abrupt bumps on pavement that are still most noticeable.