Live Valve in normal mode?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dav1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the live valves are active in normal mode, or baja only? In other words, if you had the damper mode in normal, and the road went from smooth to rough, would the shocks automatically adjust to compensate? If this is the case, then why would there even be a need for the different damper modes, if the shocks will adjust automatically? Btw I dont have any experience yet, im waiting to order a 23. I was just curious.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, they’re always active. The speed the damping rates change based on terrain, as well as the max damping force applied, will change depending on the mode.

OP
OP
D

Dav1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10/4. So in normal mode, if you were to go from a highway to a dirt road with a lot of potholes and bumps, it will only firm up to a certain point no matter how rough the road gets. Then its time to switch modes. I was thinking they would recognize the rough terrain and adjust accordingly, no matter what mode its in. In other words it would switch to baja or sport on its own when it senses hard terrain. Im talking about the damping only , not the rest of what comes along with the different modes. (shift points, exhaust etc.) If that makes sense.

OP
OP
D

Dav1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty good video explaining.

I noticed at the end he said "weather your just going for a drive, or pushing the limits." If this is true, then what would be the use of having different damping modes, if ther truck will do it for you? Or maybe like Boostcreep said, theres limits for the live valve for each mode. I was hoping that if in normal mode, it would be soft for the highway, then it would automatically go straight to baha level firmness if need be , if you turned down a bad trail or road. Has anyone ever hit the trail while in normal mode to see what it would do. It may just stay too soft and bottom out.

ocbcwc

Reaction score
Think of it a dampening ratio table. Based on vehicle speed, position of the arm (derived shock position) and speed of arm movement (derived Shaft movement) the compression is adjusted at X number of times a second. I think the gen 3's are 100-200 times a second or something. Switching modes switches to a new dampening ratio table. Think of it like a tune for your engine and fuel mixture.

Also, I say derived shock position because there is an arm lever attached to the front UCA. This tells the CPU where the arm is. It then extrapolates the positioning/ point of travel of the front and rear shocks.

That being said, I highly recommend the SDI E-Clik system. The truck is a whole new animal. I'm not sure if Gen 3 is available yet, but you should look into it when it is.

OP
OP
D

Dav1000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think of it a dampening ratio table. Based on vehicle speed, position of the arm (derived shock position) and speed of arm movement (derived Shaft movement) the compression is adjusted at X number of times a second. I think the gen 3's are 100-200 times a second or something. Switching modes switches to a new dampening ratio table. Think of it like a tune for your engine and fuel mixture.

Also, I say derived shock position because there is an arm lever attached to the front UCA. This tells the CPU where the arm is. It then extrapolates the positioning/ point of travel of the front and rear shocks.

That being said, I highly recommend the SDI E-Clik system. The truck is a whole new animal. I'm not sure if Gen 3 is available yet, but you should look into it when it is.
I see. So each mode is active, its just on different scales. So if your in normal mode, no matter how bad of a trail or bumps, it will not go past the mode's limit. Youd think that if you started hitting huge dips or catching air, the cpu would realize this and switch to more extreme damping, even while in normal mode. Maybe in the future they will program it for that, where one mode does it all, smooth highway to baja firm. And i think the gen 3, the sensors are like 500 times a second, so that should be plenty fast to keep up.

PlainJane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is part of the reason I chose to install the ECLIK system on my live valve gen 2. It separates the transmission modes from the shock modes. i like tow mode for some terrains.

BoostCreep

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Every mode still has the capability to go over any terrain, but you might find certain modes work better and control the truck better depending on how fast you’re going. For example, you might find sport mode to work the best over certain terrain sections even though technically sport was designed for the street.

The Gen 2 shock control module updates and adjusts the shocks at 30Hz, Gen 3 is at 300Hz, and the DSC and E-Clik systems are at 500Hz.