Help Support Ford Raptor Forum by donating:

Live Valve delete ride quality

Discussion in 'Ford Raptor Suspension Discussion and Modification' started by MattACK, Aug 31, 2020.

1. MattACK

MattACK Member

I have a 2017 with 70k miles and looking to get a set of take-offs instead of rebuilding, just a personal preference.

There are more sets of 2019+ shocks available than 2017/2018 shocks. So, I'm wondering how the the RPG live valve plugs work on the live valve shocks and how they affect ride quality.

With the plugs installed, do they ride similar to 2017/2018 shocks?

2. Raptor911

Raptor911 FRF Addict

I don't think anyone here has tried the live shocks on a 2017/18 truck yet. The RPG product is pretty new. You should email them and ask to see if any of their customers has tried it yet.

3. svtrap544

svtrap544 FRF Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have an email into RPG regarding the same question and I will post up what I hear from them once they reply.

4. MattACK

MattACK Member

I just spoke with RPG who said it doesn't change the valving and should make the shock behave like a 2017/2018 shock. Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger and see how it goes.

5. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

It is correct that their block off kit doesn’t change the valving; however, without the solenoid, the shocks will be in their stiffest setting, which is much stiffer than 2017/2018 shocks.

cutamerc and Proflyer like this.
  6. MattACK

MattACK Member

Understood that without the solenoid the valve will be at it's stiffest setting. Once the valve is removed and replaced with the plug, it should remove the restriction imposed by the de-energized valve, correct?

7. FordTechOne

FordTechOne FRF Addict

I would agree, however I wasn’t able to find that on the product listing on their website. The description makes it sound like it’s just a block off kit. However, if you spoke with them and they told you that their kit will allow the shocks to function at a dampening rate similar to a 17/18, you should be good to go. Let us know the results once you have them installed!

Donmatteo and MattACK like this.
  8. BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ Full Access Member

It would be interesting if a rheostat control could be fitted to allow manual adjustment of the valving. It doesn't matter for my truck, but others might benefit.

NickyBiscuits likes this.
  9. MattACK

MattACK Member

You would need a PWM controller to manage the duty cycle of the solenoid. A rheostat alone would just adjust the voltage to a threshold turn-on voltage point where it would be on/off or open/closed. Which would be full soft or full stiff.

That being said, you can have a microcontroller that would allow you to use a variable voltage rheostat as an input, but you'd still need a PWM driver for the output.

10. MattACK

MattACK Member

Will do. I examined the images closer and the plug w/ o-ring replaces the larger portion of the valve and essentially cuts off the needle valve with the orifices. Hope it works and will report back when able.

Just ordered a set off eBay and the plugs from RPG. I plan to do that along with brake rotors/pads and SS lines, so it'll be a chore, but rather get it all done while the wheels are off.

FordTechOne and GCATX like this.