Live Valve delete ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattACK

Reaction score
I have a 2017 with 70k miles and looking to get a set of take-offs instead of rebuilding, just a personal preference.

There are more sets of 2019+ shocks available than 2017/2018 shocks. So, I'm wondering how the the RPG live valve plugs work on the live valve shocks and how they affect ride quality.

With the plugs installed, do they ride similar to 2017/2018 shocks?

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think anyone here has tried the live shocks on a 2017/18 truck yet. The RPG product is pretty new. You should email them and ask to see if any of their customers has tried it yet.

SVTRap

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an email into RPG regarding the same question and I will post up what I hear from them once they reply.

OP
OP
M

MattACK

Reaction score
I just spoke with RPG who said it doesn't change the valving and should make the shock behave like a 2017/2018 shock. Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger and see how it goes.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I just spoke with RPG who said it doesn't change the valving and should make the shock behave like a 2017/2018 shock. Looks like I'm going to pull the trigger and see how it goes.

It is correct that their block off kit doesn’t change the valving; however, without the solenoid, the shocks will be in their stiffest setting, which is much stiffer than 2017/2018 shocks.

OP
OP
M

MattACK

Reaction score
It is correct that their block off kit doesn’t change the valving; however, without the solenoid, the shocks will be in their stiffest setting, which is much stiffer than 2017/2018 shocks.

Understood that without the solenoid the valve will be at it's stiffest setting. Once the valve is removed and replaced with the plug, it should remove the restriction imposed by the de-energized valve, correct?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Understood that without the solenoid the valve will be at it's stiffest setting. Once the valve is removed and replaced with the plug, it should remove the restriction imposed by the de-energized valve, correct?

I would agree, however I wasn’t able to find that on the product listing on their website. The description makes it sound like it’s just a block off kit. However, if you spoke with them and they told you that their kit will allow the shocks to function at a dampening rate similar to a 17/18, you should be good to go. Let us know the results once you have them installed!

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting if a rheostat control could be fitted to allow manual adjustment of the valving. It doesn't matter for my truck, but others might benefit.

OP
OP
M

MattACK

Reaction score
It would be interesting if a rheostat control could be fitted to allow manual adjustment of the valving. It doesn't matter for my truck, but others might benefit.

You would need a PWM controller to manage the duty cycle of the solenoid. A rheostat alone would just adjust the voltage to a threshold turn-on voltage point where it would be on/off or open/closed. Which would be full soft or full stiff.

That being said, you can have a microcontroller that would allow you to use a variable voltage rheostat as an input, but you'd still need a PWM driver for the output.

OP
OP
M

MattACK

Reaction score
I would agree, however I wasn’t able to find that on the product listing on their website. The description makes it sound like it’s just a block off kit. However, if you spoke with them and they told you that their kit will allow the shocks to function at a dampening rate similar to a 17/18, you should be good to go. Let us know the results once you have them installed!

Will do. I examined the images closer and the plug w/ o-ring replaces the larger portion of the valve and essentially cuts off the needle valve with the orifices. Hope it works and will report back when able.

Just ordered a set off eBay and the plugs from RPG. I plan to do that along with brake rotors/pads and SS lines, so it'll be a chore, but rather get it all done while the wheels are off.