Live valve controller help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gotsboost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay guys I want to create a live valve controller and I'm needing one of you second gen guys to measure voltage inputs going into your shocks. From my understanding with the research available the input should be around 4-6 volts. I would like someone to take the connector off one of the shocks and measure voltage inputs in the different modes as well as different suspension travel lengthens mimicking jumps ect. Then I will test in on my first gen with both a controller for the front and the rear. Whoever helps me will receive a free controller once testing is complete.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What you are requesting will not provide accurate results. The shock solenoids are Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) by the Vehicle Dynamics Module (VDM). As the duty cycle is increased or decreased, the amount of current flowing to the solenoid changes. The amount of current flow corresponds with position of the shock valve. Do get the data you’re looking for, you will need to determine duty cycle and current flow in each drive mode, which is not something most people are going to be able to do.

OP
OP
gotsboost

gotsboost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you are requesting will not provide accurate results. The shock solenoids are Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) by the Vehicle Dynamics Module (VDM). As the duty cycle is increased or decreased, the amount of current flowing to the solenoid changes. The amount of current flow corresponds with position of the shock valve. Do get the data you’re looking for, you will need to determine duty cycle and current flow in each drive mode, which is not something most people are going to be able to do.

Good to know but getting the voltage inputs would in theory give me a starting point correct? I get that the computer controls them based on duty cycle and all I would be doing is a set it stiff or soft based on voltage. The more voltage to a point would open the valve. One thing I wasn't sure on is if the voltage increases it gets softer or stiffer. I believe it gets softer but not sure. I guess Ill hook it up and go hit some trails after testing the valve with it off the shock.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good to know but getting the voltage inputs would in theory give me a starting point correct? I get that the computer controls them based on duty cycle and all I would be doing is a set it stiff or soft based on voltage. The more voltage to a point would open the valve. One thing I wasn't sure on is if the voltage increases it gets softer or stiffer. I believe it gets softer but not sure. I guess Ill hook it up and go hit some trails after testing the valve with it off the shock.

It will not, because the measured voltage is only the average. The valves open based on amperage, not voltage. So if the duty cycle is 50% with a 12V power source, the voltage reading with a multimeter will be approximately 6V. In terms of system operation, that reading is irrelevant. If you tried to supply a constant 6V to the system, the result would not be the same as a 50% duty cycle, because they are not equivalent.

As far as the shocks, the dampening becomes softer as the current increases.

btec116

Reaction score
I'd be interested in this too, I just got a set of '19 shocks to fit to a non live-valve, and was thinking the same thing. Get a controller and just manually adjust from the cabin.

Even if they're PWM controlled it'd be good to know the general voltage range. Ideally would be awesome to take a measurement with a Picoscope or something similar, then it'd be easy(ish) to make a controller after that. some of the more advanced Automotive diagnostic computers also have oscilloscopes built in, but I don't know what brands, etc.

Alternatively, has anyone thought to call Fox? I mean I'm pretty sure they'd just tell us to bugger off, but still, if you catch someone on a good day, maybe they'd tell us something... :)

OP
OP
gotsboost

gotsboost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in this too, I just got a set of '19 shocks to fit to a non live-valve, and was thinking the same thing. Get a controller and just manually adjust from the cabin.

Even if they're PWM controlled it'd be good to know the general voltage range. Ideally would be awesome to take a measurement with a Picoscope or something similar, then it'd be easy(ish) to make a controller after that. some of the more advanced Automotive diagnostic computers also have oscilloscopes built in, but I don't know what brands, etc.

Alternatively, has anyone thought to call Fox? I mean I'm pretty sure they'd just tell us to bugger off, but still, if you catch someone on a good day, maybe they'd tell us something... :)

I ordered what I think is a controller that will work. Now I need to get a valve and wait for my 3.0’s to come in.

OP
OP
gotsboost

gotsboost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to test it with the valve off to see what voltage and current opens it. Then I’m going to mount the two controllers in the glove box. One for the front and one for the rear.