GEN 2 [LISTEN] Presenting the AWE FG Exhaust Suite. Available now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrotchCritter

Reaction score
I installed the 2FG parts today. It took about 2 hours, no lift.
At work I deal in facts and evidence, so here’s what I observed.

At start up, the db meter showed a max of 94 db, settling into a 79 db reading taken with the meter on the ground at the trailer hitch position, 1m behind the truck.

Inside the cabin, before, with stock exhaust:
at 60mph in top gear, no radio, fan or other noise other than road, wind, motor and exhaust 66.5-67.5 db.

At 60mph top gear, no radio, fan or other in cabin noise: 70-71 db.

That’s about 7 on the volume setting of the Sony stereo, probably quite similar for b&o. 8 or 9 is where I listen to news or traffic with the windows up.

For both tests i had the db meter in the front cup holder.

Less tangible observations:
1) Wife immediately noticed how much louder the truck is, particularly taking off from a stop even at light throttle. She warned me that we couldn’t sound like the high school kid in the beat up Mustang or no muffler mazda6 that loves our street hearing his exhaust bounce of our houses. No worries on that front.
2) No observable reverb or poor quality sound introduced by the exhaust.
3) lugging causes a very low pitch hum (duh!) that’s more noticeable now. think stuck in 10th gear at about 40-44 mph and trying to slowly accelerate at about 1200 rpm on the tach

I was a little surprised at how much louder 2fg is. Not disappointed, just a little surprised. Fortunately, it’s civilized enough to hold a conversation at 60. I need to have a go in sport mode to see if the volume increase is closer to linear or proportional to throttle.

suggestions: you need a metric socket set, driver. AWE instructions are quite adequate, with good pictures. if you’re on the ground, a floor jack under the truck muffler is suggested. The muffler is heavy but the instructions over play this. it’s not -that- heavy.

definitely spray the daylights out of the clamp bolts and joints to be taken apart liberally with penetrating oil well before the install attempt. You might be tempted to be gentle with your 70 thousand dollar truck.

Don’t. You’re underneath it. it’s an off road oriented truck. it should be caked in mud. Nobody will ever see under there unless you’re mowing them down.

I suggest a BFH and a 2 x 4 and you will make much shorter work of separating the pieces. A 3 or 4 pounder, no bounce or similar implement should get things apart in a few smitings.

Hey Smurf, one thing I forgot to mention is to try it in Sport mode. Since it keeps it in the higher RPM range, I definitely got a lot of "farty" sound coming from it under mild throttle. I obviously dont drive it in sport around town (unless someone's trying to see how their 94 S10 runs), but I do a bit of offroading and beach running.

Again to anyone wanting to purchase it, its definitely a quality piece for a good price, but under mild throttle it sounded a little too sports car/import for me. Idle is great, WOT is a little raspy as I've mentioned.

That was basically the only deal breaker for me. Sport mode definitely brings out some drone/import sounds because of the RPM band. Was curious if anyone else noticed it.

On a side note, filled up again today on stock and paying attention the backfires are still there, just really really soft pops. Only happens after a full up for about 50 miles.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Be curious to hear if you experience the same backfiring as some of us.

Under what conditions are you getting the backfire?

70 mph, about 69.7 - 70.3 db.

I had a chance to open it up a little a few times and I’m seeing 80-84 db sometimes on the meter - again, windows up, no fan, no radio.

all in all, as I said before it’s a little louder than I expected but not obnoxiously loud.
One thing I have noticed that is very annoying is when flooring it, there is more raspiness at the higher rpms.

It’s at least not monotonous.

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under what conditions are you getting the backfire?

70 mph, about 69.7 - 70.3 db.

I had a chance to open it up a little a few times and I’m seeing 80-84 db sometimes on the meter - again, windows up, no fan, no radio.

all in all, as I said before it’s a little louder than I expected but not obnoxiously loud.

It’s at least not monotonous.

I have noticed them mostly when decelerating/coasting around 15 MPH or so. It also seemed to happen more often after fill-up and also when less than 1/4 tank.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
so... I’ve got maybe 250-300 miles, and 2 top offs of fuel and have not experienced a backfire or similar phenomenon. I’ll keep an ear out for it.

TTRaptor

Reaction score
so... I’ve got maybe 250-300 miles, and 2 top offs of fuel and have not experienced a backfire or similar phenomenon. I’ll keep an ear out for it.

Smurfslayer- I'am new to the forums but I already know who sasquatch is and ********* your profile pic is hilarious!!! Kudos to you brotha!!

Rob O

Reaction score
My 0FG is coming off the truck this week; going back to stock for now. Will be available and I'm open to offers. Located in Portland, OR.

It's a very nice system, and enhances the sound of the 3.5TT HO ... particularly from the outside, and "around town" or during acceleration. After a 2500 mile road trip this past week, one of many I'll make this year, it's just a bit too loud at sustained freeway speeds for me. Doesn't drone, just a more pronounced note when under 1500 RPM (especially under load) or cruising above 2100 RPM (75mph+). I found myself locking out gears or setting cruise at 74mph just to keep engine speeds between 1500 and 2000 RPM (the sweet spot, noise wise).

(I should note I added Vibrant Resonators to help settle the note overall. They did wonders for my 'around town' driving, but don't quite squelch the highway speeds note enough).

BlazinPond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One 0FG comes off .... ^^

And another on... did the install myself this afternoon.
First impression, sounds great, but when you get on it....holy bat ****.

Insane sound during mid-acceleration and yes, rasp.

I do look forward to 'break in'.

fullsizeoutput_f62.jpeg

SrL4i+fvQ+iD0SD8rhX2CA.jpg

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One 0FG comes off .... ^^

And another on... did the install myself this afternoon.
First impression, sounds great, but when you get on it....holy bat ****.

Insane sound during mid-acceleration and yes, rasp.

I do look forward to 'break in'.

View attachment 121517

View attachment 121518

Were you able to keep your stock system and not have to cut it?