GEN 2 [LISTEN] Presenting the AWE FG Exhaust Suite. Available now.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrotchCritter

Reaction score
Odd as the videos I have heard, on vehicles that were otherwise stock like the Raptor in our videos, sound... just like our videos. Regarding the clamps, it's all about proper placement.

Capture.png

Thanks for the info, I've seen this pic and tried the clamps in multiple positions and so has the muffler shop nearby. I'll give it another look this evening...

Hmmm, I don't know what to say other than that I disagree. Multiple users have said it sounds different and the videos I've seen in the last few pages (along with my experience) sound different as well. Maybe it's just us, as these things will vary between people.

OP
OP
Josh/AWE

Josh/AWE

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I've seen this pic and tried the clamps in multiple positions and so has the muffler shop nearby. I'll give it another look this evening...

Hmmm, I don't know what to say other than that I disagree. Multiple users have said it sounds different and the videos I've seen in the last few pages (along with my experience) sound different as well. Maybe it's just us, as these things will vary between people.

Gotcha. Once placed in the proper spot, feel free to hit them with an impact for an extra dose of "oomph."

Also true. Unsure if real life is being compared to videos with vehicles in a garage, against a wall, etc, or vice versa, but what I do know is I record these videos in the open with minimal ambient noise (aside from birds chirping,etc) on the same settings, distance, with the same equipment to lessen the amount of variables during playback. With that said, I have heard videos that sound weird, and I have heard videos that are very accurate. Unsure of what's being used for recording on each occasion, but nonetheless I have experienced most driving scenarios in and out of the Raptor (with exception to baja style dunes :)), with broken-in configurations, and real life translated very accurately to the videos.

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run 91 so for sure its not octane all we got here in ca or i run 93 if i lived in another state

i love my rice crispy snap crackle pop sound but this is more backfire sound as you left off throttle vs the exotic sound of crackles and pops which i love maybe some more miles will help break it in

About the backfires
Definitely got them here as well, first time I heard it I thought the rear end was exploding (I'm exaggerating, but it was definitely loud). NOTE: Since I switched to midgrade/premium those issues have disappeared. I think it has something to do with the ECM trying to prevent detonation from using 87 or "bad gas". I'm sure I'm wrong, this is just what I've read in other forums because I didn't make the connection to the exhaust at first. Computer will supposedly retard timing and even reduce output slightly if it detects lower octane with its knock sensors.

About the exhaust.
I am 99% that I'm returning this exhaust. At idle and VERY low RPM the exhaust is great. Anything other than a "small" acceleration leads to a sound I don't like, just doesn't seem right coming from the truck. Also, there are bad exhaust leaks coming from almost every clamp provided to me. Again I am not a small man, and have put quite a bit of torque on the bolts. I still can't get the hissing to stop, nor could the exhaust shop...

Mild acceleration is just bad honestly, and that's how I drive. WOT is a little raspy but honestly doesn't sound too bad. Idle is great. The mid point is too sports car-ish. After an evening with a friend he finally proclaimed "350Z!" as he had spent the last hour trying to decide what the truck sounded like. I guess I just have to stick with stock :(

I think the biggest let down is this--As others have stated it sounds nothing like the video. Honestly the exhaust isnt bad but it's definitely not what I was expecting, and I think it's kind of soured my opinion on it.

Obscure

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run 91 so for sure its not octane all we got here in ca or i run 93 if i lived in another state

i love my rice crispy snap crackle pop sound but this is more backfire sound as you left off throttle vs the exotic sound of crackles and pops which i love maybe some more miles will help break it in

Agreed, I also know what "welcomed" crackles and burbles sound like as I have had many sports cars that do this intentionally, but this backfiring makes it sound like a dang hoopty. I also run 93 octane.

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I also know what "welcomed" crackles and burbles sound like as I have had many sports cars that do this intentionally, but this backfiring makes it sound like a dang hoopty. I also run 93 octane.

its funny I have a tuner that does ECU tunes on exotics talking up to 3 million cars and his most request is not any more power they just pay for the crackles and pops but like you said this is not that at all this is a big ass backfire sound that makes you turn your heard around like someone got hit

BIGDJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

b37zrap

Reaction score
Running the 2fg for couple weeks now on 93 with Goose Tune and at first the sound was not great but as the days go by it has sounded better and I enjoy the snap-crackle sounds. I think it justs takes time to break in. Just my 2cs.

Nood1es

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the 2fg on an otherwise stock 2019. Put 2500+ miles on a trip from wi to bama. Some drone on highway but that’s a given. Wasn’t too bad. I don’t mind the backfire. It’s not gunshot backfire Loud so it’s fine with me and the family.

Fits perfect for me as I wanted a lil sound but not obnoxiously loud.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I installed the 2FG parts today. It took about 2 hours, no lift.
At work I deal in facts and evidence, so here’s what I observed.

At start up, the db meter showed a max of 94 db, settling into a 79 db reading taken with the meter on the ground at the trailer hitch position, 1m behind the truck.

Inside the cabin, before, with stock exhaust:
at 60mph in top gear, no radio, fan or other noise other than road, wind, motor and exhaust 66.5-67.5 db.

At 60mph top gear, no radio, fan or other in cabin noise: 70-71 db.

That’s about 7 on the volume setting of the Sony stereo, probably quite similar for b&o. 8 or 9 is where I listen to news or traffic with the windows up.

For both tests i had the db meter in the front cup holder.

Less tangible observations:
1) Wife immediately noticed how much louder the truck is, particularly taking off from a stop even at light throttle. She warned me that we couldn’t sound like the high school kid in the beat up Mustang or no muffler mazda6 that loves our street hearing his exhaust bounce of our houses. No worries on that front.
2) No observable reverb or poor quality sound introduced by the exhaust.
3) lugging causes a very low pitch hum (duh!) that’s more noticeable now. think stuck in 10th gear at about 40-44 mph and trying to slowly accelerate at about 1200 rpm on the tach

I was a little surprised at how much louder 2fg is. Not disappointed, just a little surprised. Fortunately, it’s civilized enough to hold a conversation at 60. I need to have a go in sport mode to see if the volume increase is closer to linear or proportional to throttle.

suggestions: you need a metric socket set, driver. AWE instructions are quite adequate, with good pictures. if you’re on the ground, a floor jack under the truck muffler is suggested. The muffler is heavy but the instructions over play this. it’s not -that- heavy.

definitely spray the daylights out of the clamp bolts and joints to be taken apart liberally with penetrating oil well before the install attempt. You might be tempted to be gentle with your 70 thousand dollar truck.

Don’t. You’re underneath it. it’s an off road oriented truck. it should be caked in mud. Nobody will ever see under there unless you’re mowing them down.

I suggest a BFH and a 2 x 4 and you will make much shorter work of separating the pieces. A 3 or 4 pounder, no bounce or similar implement should get things apart in a few smitings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts