GEN 2 Line-X quote getting ridiculous?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KryptosXLayer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm commissioning my dealership to do some additional Line-X work on my Raptor while I'm waiting to pick it up next week, since they already color matched the Avalanche Grey bedliner and are capable of doing custom work. Here's what I've asked them to do:
  • Black Wheel Wells
  • Custom Color Fender Flares
  • Custom Color Front Bumper
  • Custom Color Front Grille
  • Custom Color Rear Bumper
  • Custom Color Tailgate Applique
They're charging me $795 for the custom color bedliner already done, but the above list was quoted at $2,800??? I asked them to take off the front grille and tailgate applique from the quote, they said that those were some of the easier ones and it wouldn't go down all that much. They're excited to the job because once it's done, it will look really unique (and before everyone gets bent out of shape, I'm NOT color matching, also not doing anything wild, just a different color than Magnetic while protecting the pieces aforementioned).

Now for the big questions:
  1. Most importantly - why in the hell is this so expensive?
  2. Why are they telling me that they can't spray the front wheel wells - is this right? I don't have much time spent looking up at the front wells, so I'm not sure why just the rears are getting done and the price is still this high.
  3. I was told to go with Line-X Ultra for the smooth surfaces somewhere online, possibly here, but they told me that they cannot color match Ultra, only Xtra, which will have texture to it. I don't see Ultra listed on Line-X's website, so I can't find out if it can or cannot be color matched, but isn't it the same style product? EDIT - found the page on Line-X's website, it clearly states "ENDLESS COLOR OPTIONS" on the page for it, so they're just BSing me about not being able to do a custom color Ultra spray...
Hoping someone can help me answer these mysteries of Line-X before it gets too late and they can't get it done in time for me to pick it up, thanks!

Last edited:

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand all of the color match Line-x offering are just a paint added into the last steps of the process. I am not sure if this limits what level of Line-x you can get.

The front wheel wells might have to do that there is already a wheel well liner that is plastic on the front or maybe they don't want to risk trying to get around the suspension components.

As for price, I have no idea.. I will only be having the rear wheel wells sprayed. Most of the cost is probably just covering themselves on the parts that will be visible in case they don't get it right.. Maybe ask them for an itemized quote so you can see exactly where the costly items come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I wouldn't use a dealership for this. I would use a shop that's veryvery good at line-x . You might get a better quote. Your truck is not cheap and I'd be worried to attention to detail with how particular you want it done. Either way, I hope it works out for ya.

OP
OP
KryptosXLayer2

KryptosXLayer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were me, I wouldn't use a dealership for this. I would use a shop that's veryvery good at line-x . You might get a better quote. Your truck is not cheap and I'd be worried to attention to detail with how particular you want it done. Either way, I hope it works out for ya.

I should have been more specific - it's a Line-X franchise that is doing the work, but going through my dealership because he is (supposedly) giving it to me at his cost. They are subbing out the work and not marking it up, but this seems to be much higher than the bedliner pricing was for similar, custom work.

I think I'm going to get a quote directly from Line-X tomorrow morning and see if it isn't too far off in price.

18LeadfootNNJ

Reaction score
I should have been more specific - it's a Line-X franchise that is doing the work, but going through my dealership because he is (supposedly) giving it to me at his cost. They are subbing out the work and not marking it up, but this seems to be much higher than the bedliner pricing was for similar, custom work.

I think I'm going to get a quote directly from Line-X tomorrow morning and see if it isn't too far off in price.

Take it from a contractor. When someone says "I'm doing it at cost, no markup"......there's a markup"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
KryptosXLayer2

KryptosXLayer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it from a contractor. When someone says "I'm doing it at cost, no markup"......there's a markup"

Agreed, it's the equivalent of saying "I don't know you at all, but I don't like money, so I'll pass on my discounts that I worked hard to obtain in order for you to be happy"

So far it seems like they CAN in fact do the Line-X Ultra with custom colors, but was told "it isn't an exact match because it is thinner material," so we'll see. Will know more tomorrow, I hope!

vitaminR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why line-x the plastic front wheel wells? Isn't the replacement piece cheaper than the Line-x application at this point?

Same with people wrapping the fender flares - someone had a quote for XPEL on them that was more then the flares cost.

OP
OP
KryptosXLayer2

KryptosXLayer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why line-x the plastic front wheel wells? Isn't the replacement piece cheaper than the Line-x application at this point?

Same with people wrapping the fender flares - someone had a quote for XPEL on them that was more then the flares cost.

No idea what it really looks like, so if it is all just plastic, then that's fine, didn't want the body colored painted rear ones exposed like most have said.

I agree that using invisible paint protection is a little overkill on the fenders though, and I'm factory trained at XPEL. I just wanted them protected and a different color than the Magnetic that it comes with.