GEN 2 Lights for stock bumper, SAE fogs plus...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Serious question: How often are you going to be looking at them when they’re on, other than to aim them?

I run the SAEs on an up fitter and just leave them on, high or low beam when on road. I don’t get flashed for this and I’m sure that’s because of the sharp cut off of the SAEs. For elk, mule deer, moose, or bear, I’d probably run 2x squadron pro driving combos if there were no oncoming traffic.

You’re probably correct on looking at the beam color, but I do get OCD on stuff like that. I certainly notice it on other people’s trucks.

I didn’t realize, duh, that the upfitter scandal be left in the on position all the time. I would probably just run the SAE fogs on most all the time. I was thinking of something like the stop start that resets all the time and needs to be touched every time I get in the truck.

Thanks to @Oldfart for the warning on wiring the lights like I was planning, and the supporting PM’s, I’m sure that saved me some headaches. Now I’m thinking of a relay setup where I could use a floor dimmer to toggle between the fog and driving, or just activate the driving as needed with a floor dimmer rather than reaching up for the upfitter switch. Reading some threads on other forums about how running bright fogs on long dark highways is detrimental on night vision, I may want to toggle them.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Diode Dynamics Pro's and they are fantastic. I have it set up with 3 pairs: the innermost lights are spots, the middle lights are SAE driving, and the outermost are SAE fogs. They color match the stock lights of the truck almost perfectly and I have had no issues with them so far.

Thanks for the feedback. How long have you been running them? Do you think the SAE driving and the spots are overkill for the distance pairs? I was figuring on SAE Driving, SAE Fog, and Amber SAE Fog if I went with three pair from them. I do see some fog and snow on weekly highway trips in the winter.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I want to buy once cry once on this. I also don’t want a mishmash of lights on the truck. I searched, but couldn’t find the K number for the stock LED lights. They look between 5000K to 6000K to me. Suggestions?

So the main difference between the Baja SAE and Diode SAE is that Baja designed their lights to be used as FOG LIGHTS. That's why they have the lumen they have. They were not trying to make the brightest fog light out there, because they want it used as a FOG LIGHT. Your fog lights should NOT over-power your headlights.

The diode SAE lights are too bright for fogs in my opinion. They put optics in them to make the beam pattern defined, but in reality it's REALLY bright for use on roads. It's going to overpower your headlights, and then they are not even fogs.

So for my $$ I go with the Baja SAE for street use FOG lights. IF you want brighter lights, well Baja sells REALLY bright lights that can do the job. Their Squadron Pros put out 4900 lumen each. But like I said, these are FOG lights.

We offer a triple fog light kit with your choice of Baja Lights. Our kits include our USA Made Brackets which give you the most control/adjustability of your lights out of any other bracket on the market. They come with a lifetime warranty as well.

This is important because when you start picking/choosing the lights, each one is going to have a different spot you aim them.

If you do the Squadron SAE you can aim them a bit higher then you would a Squadron Pro driving/combo. It's got that cut-off. But for a fog light you want it aimed below your headlights cut-off (and not to overpower your headlights).

For off-roading you can then put in the driving/combos and spots, and even wide cornering. But you can aim them wherever you like. So for a 2nd pair you could do some Wide Cornerings aimed outwards a bit and high, to really illuminate the area. Or maybe a driving/combo which gives you both spot or wide cornering.

What I'd recommend is reach out to us (email, PM, text, live chat, FB, phone, etc...) and we'll help you build a lighting setup that fits YOUR driving.

These are our fog kits that we offer: https://www.4x4truckleds.com/vehicl...2017-2018-f-150-raptor/triple-fog-light-kits/

All completely customizable.

116045037_10217782300084634_2719840187335305431_o.jpg

4rdFan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. How long have you been running them? Do you think the SAE driving and the spots are overkill for the distance pairs? I was figuring on SAE Driving, SAE Fog, and Amber SAE Fog if I went with three pair from them. I do see some fog and snow on weekly highway trips in the winter.

I've been running them for 4 months. As 4X4TruckLEDS mentioned above, these lights are really bright so yes, I do think SAE driving and spots are overkill. The fog and driving combo you mentioned is probably ideal.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with 4rdFan... 3 sets of SAE is not needed. Baja only makes an SAE in Wide Cornering just so ya know, unlike DD who makes an "SAE" in Driving and Fog... but is confusing because as a fog light you DO NOT want it to go above your headlights. DD markets them as not only fogs but for all purposes. In your case you are not using your "fog" lights as legal headlights, so you should stick with an SAE light that does not overpower your headlights.

I usually tell folks if they want street legal fogs then do

Squadron SAE
Squadron SAE Amber
Squadron Pro Driving/Combo

But if you want street legal fogs and some off-road lighting

Squadron SAE
Squadron Pro Driving/Combo
Squadron Pro Spot

is a good setup, although

Squadron SAE
Squadron Pro WC
Squadron Pro Spot

Would be better. As then you have the full WC and full spot on 2 switches instead of a combined switch.

My PERSONAL setup are:

Squadron Pro WC
Squadron Pro WC Amber
Squadron Pro DC

That's because i'm an a-hole and blind people on the road (well not really, I DO have my lights aimed down, which is why in my setup you can see the inner and outter light are aimed WAYYY down to limit the glare as much as possible. It's not a setup I recommend to folks BUT i'm constantly testing different setups). It works nicely BUT does throw some glare so i tend to keep the lights off these days unless i'm alone on the road.

108156747_10217702113440018_5929434371928721016_n.jpg

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/2017-f...ght-kit-w-baja-designs-lights-build-your-kit/

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ended up with BD SAE wide cornering, Pro Combo, and Racer spots. The Pro Combo's blew me away with how they light up a back road. It's like a police helicopter just lit you up. Very happy with the set up.

Last edited:

TDBrown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also OP, I don't think you are going to have any luck linking to the high beam switch. In talking to Ford Tech One, he advised me it will end up bricking your your body control module. I was ready to set up a relay on mine to do the same as you want, but apparently these trucks don't like it.

OP, please forgive a slight, very brief hijack.

Oldfart, do low beams present the same problem (forgive my electrical ignorance)? I'm considering one pair of amber SAE fogs to be on whenever the low beams are on just so I don't use an upfitter switch. But no big deal if it's better to use a switch.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OP, please forgive a slight, very brief hijack.

Oldfart, do low beams present the same problem (forgive my electrical ignorance)? I'm considering one pair of amber SAE fogs to be on whenever the low beams are on just so I don't use an upfitter switch. But no big deal if it's better to use a switch.

My understanding is that you don't want to tie into the headlight circuit, even with a relay, because the Body Control Module senses extra current draw and will end up causing you to have BCM issues. If you tie into an upfitter switch you can just leave the switch on, the lights will go off when you turn off the truck.