Lights Block Air Flow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I can't remember anyone overheating with an FMIC and nothing else in the grill. If so, please point me so we can investigate.

I did a simple search on overheating and found a bunch of hits, at least 6 had FMIC listed or mentioned.
of course, my copy/paste-fu failed me...

I know there is also the radiator refill procedure that needs attention but the one i was looking for was the guy with lights and FMIC, who was fine until he towed.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thermodynamics and heat transfer are irrefutable laws.

Airflow through the OEM radiator, intercooler, and vents are well suited for the stock 450hp/510lb-ft, under parameters that meet the strict parameters of an OEM.

The ecosystem works well as designed for stock vehicles operating as designed—driving unencumbered, or towing within specifications—in a vehicle maintained to specifications.

Blocking airflow to the radiator/intercooler for a stock engine with lights/grills/accessories/etc., is not part of any engineering equation.

Performance Mods: Increased power linearly and/or exponentially increases heat (air-fuel/larger displacement/forced induction/etc). Sometimes modders don’t fully take the laws of thermodynamics in consideration when boosting power—especially on the heat transfer/extraction side under load.

NOTE1: In NASCAR, a small piece of tape or a stray hotdog wrapper will dramatically increase water temps and degrade power at speed—in an extremely well engineered thermodynamic ecosystem.

NOTE2: I would never block even a small portion of airflow to my radiator/intercooler/engine bay vents /grille—but that’s just me. Vehicles with OEM light bars in the grille (ie Tundra) had airflow designed with that in mind.

NOTE3: High load is not only high speeds/high air flow, low speed/low flow—but also high load conditions (such as towing) that interfere with efficient heat transfer.

NOTE4: Mall runs, coffee drive thrus, and school drop off idling—safety first! Extra lights are key as visibility is more important than airflow.

I’m no curmudgeon. Have fun and enjoy. Put some tape on the grille to improve aero (kidding!)

Last edited:

Lucami

Reaction score
Towing def. Will do that as far as lights it might be a factor but maybe a degree or two? There’s still air passsing through to circulate