Lightning style exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hilbilly Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 11 Raptor that I sold several years ago, I had installed (I think) MBRP lightning style exhaust and I don't remember any drone at all. The new to me 13 Roush has their exhaust and resonator delete - loud and lots of drone. Has anyone installed the SW lightning exhaust? If so, how does it do on drone? I did listen to the videos, just not sure on drone.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Stick a resonator on it, that will kill the drone, make it a touch quieter cruising, and not effect the tone much.

xyrothryu

Reaction score
I currently run a side exit with the roush, my truck came with it and it exited under the rear bumper and what a terrible spot that was, it drug on everything.

So I ended up just keeping the muffler, flipping it 180 since its straight through and using its factory hanger then had an exhuast shop mandrel bend it out right where the frame goes up, you can fit a pipe or two right before the rear leaf hanger without losing any ground clearance.

Im surprised you find the roush drones, I love the fact mine doesn't drove, its one of the quietest exhausts at idle and louded at full throttle, hopefully you find something that works. I think I paid maybe $80 for the shop to bend, weld and tubbing for the exhaust.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 24

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the SW Lightning style exhaust on my SCAB. I nixed the 2 into 1 connection on the original factory system and made it into a true dual system. Installed a SW X-pipe and SW mufflers. On a SCAB it's a very short system in length so not much room. No room for resonators. I have since installed a shorter X-pipe and longer Magnaflow mufflers as the SW mufflers were too loud for me.

There are 2 threads on here where I have video with db meter readings of stock and the changes for comparison of tone and loudness. They cannot nor do not measure drone. I have subsequently added a helmholz resonator to the center of the X-pipe to reduce some drone in the 1800 to 2000 RPM range. There is no drone at crusie speed, only during initial acceleration which is common to most after-market systems.

IMG-7972-1-1.jpg

IMG-7820-1.jpg

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeldarbraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It only a single pipe.
Si, it only a single pipe. It do be like that.
I didn't see anything in the OP's posts about needing the two-pipe exit, just side exit. If it needs to be two pipes, then look elsewhere I guess. Removing drone with a lightning style exhaust will be tough without a resonator of some sort, and the lightning style by default has less room to work with. Given that this post was mostly about drone, I figured the dirty deeds was a good suggestion.
Here's a good thread on the dirty deeds exhaust, as well as some discussion on side-exit options: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/dirty-deeds-exhaust.47522/