Lighting Problem - Reverse and Bed lights Stuck On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any help appreciated. 2017 SCAB w/ BLIS tails

My reverse lights and bed lights in the third brake light are stuck on. It doesnt matter if my lights are on, off, bed light switch on/off, truck in reverse or drive. I was flagged down by someone on the highway to let me know they were stuck on yesterday and it hasnt stopped even with battery disconnect reset. What is going on? Thanks!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Any mods; like reverse lights or some accessory using the reverse light or brake light as a signal?

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Is this the GJ Motorsports brake light? You probably pinched the harness somehow. Check your harness going from the brake light up to the front of your truck. Look for somewhere it is pinched/etc...

OP
OP
M

Merica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the GJ Motorsports brake light? You probably pinched the harness somehow. Check your harness going from the brake light up to the front of your truck. Look for somewhere it is pinched/etc...

Nah still stock third brake light. I do have some A pillar cubes but that's all

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
So you only have front pillar cubes installed? No aftermarket reverse lights or anything? The cargo lights being on while you drive is a bit weird, because the truck doesn't let you turn your cargo lights on over a certain speed. However if you left them on, that's different. Sounds like you have a short somewhere is all. Have you done any other mods or electrical work besides your cube lights?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
cargo lights are -IIRC- a BCM controlled feature. I caused a BCM fault trying to power my reverse/chase lights off that circuit as a trigger - that should give you an idea how wimpy that circuit is. At first I thought I blew a fuse, but upon investigation I couldn’t find one relevant and non were blown; went to youtube and found some suggestions there may be a BCM trouble code.
Fired up for scan and sure enough, there was a DTC stored, I cleared it and was back to normal.

I think your problem sounds worse because there isn’t any triggering event- reverse lights or 3rd brake light, and the reverse circuit is on.

I foresee a stealership service department visit in your future.

OP
OP
M

Merica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you only have front pillar cubes installed? No aftermarket reverse lights or anything? The cargo lights being on while you drive is a bit weird, because the truck doesn't let you turn your cargo lights on over a certain speed. However if you left them on, that's different. Sounds like you have a short somewhere is all. Have you done any other mods or electrical work besides your cube lights?
No other lights, but a dashcam hardwired in. I think to seat power if I remember correctly

OP
OP
M

Merica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cargo lights are -IIRC- a BCM controlled feature. I caused a BCM fault trying to power my reverse/chase lights off that circuit as a trigger - that should give you an idea how wimpy that circuit is. At first I thought I blew a fuse, but upon investigation I couldn’t find one relevant and non were blown; went to youtube and found some suggestions there may be a BCM trouble code.
Fired up for scan and sure enough, there was a DTC stored, I cleared it and was back to normal.

I think your problem sounds worse because there isn’t any triggering event- reverse lights or 3rd brake light, and the reverse circuit is on.

I foresee a stealership service department visit in your future.
I'll run a scan, but yeah dealer appointment made. Thanks

OP
OP
M

Merica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:
Well it turns out the auxiliary harness shorted out and was causing all the problems. Covered by warranty. Wild