Lighting for sides of vehicle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ready to move onto the next phase of lighting, which would be the lighting for the sides of the vehicle. This namely would be used for camping situations, or break down situations. I was thinking of maybe going with something cheaper than Baja Designs since I basically just need some inexpensive flood lighting while I'm not driving. The plan is to mount it to the sides of my roof rack and run it off the LVJ overhead switch panel. Just curious what you guys have done. Thanks!

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll have to do some looking around on other forums for people that have mounted lights to their roof racks. I was almost wondering if there were magnetic mounts that I could just attach them to the roof as well.

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
Ive seen some magnetic mounts on Amazon idk if theyre any good.

If i had a roof rack id think flood / work scene patterns would be great. Something in a low pro bar to keep it clean looking and out of the way.

castine917

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are bright enough to see critters off to the sides or set up a camp. Not so useful for repairs out on the trails or camping. Too bright. My enclosed trailer has some cheap led lights that work much better for that. I don't have access to pictures of them on this computer though.
Maybe some 12 led light bars for rv awning for the camping light. What does your current roof rack look like? (I found your thread about your rack in the similar threads down below after initial comment)

L1LRUBY 38.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These are bright enough to see critters off to the sides or set up a camp. Not so useful for repairs out on the trails or camping. Too bright. My enclosed trailer has some cheap led lights that work much better for that. I don't have access to pictures of them on this computer though.
Maybe some 12 led light bars for rv awning for the camping light. What does your current roof rack look like? (I found your thread about your rack in the similar threads down below after initial comment)

View attachment 375833

Yea, that's my worry is that going with something too bright won't help as it'll just blind you. I was kind of looking at like RV awning lights like you mentioned. I basically just want something to illuminate the sides for camping or out on the trail repairs, don't need something super bright.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ive seen some magnetic mounts on Amazon idk if theyre any good.

If i had a roof rack id think flood / work scene patterns would be great. Something in a low pro bar to keep it clean looking and out of the way.

Yea, I was thinking of trying something more akin to a light bar so it doesn't look like lights just hanging off the sides of the rack. Definitely needs to be flood/work/scene pattern so that it disperses well and doesn't blind you.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I realized today that I'll most likely have to run something like the Baja Designs S2's in work/scene. The traction boards take up almost the whole basket on one side which doesn't leave much room at the back. I think it would probably be best to use bar mounted brackets like I did for the front bumper lights and mount the lights on the bottom side of the basket.

1666072787392.png

Attachments

• PXL_20220915_141908400.jpg
    PXL_20220915_141908400.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20220915_141926823.jpg
    PXL_20220915_141926823.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Baja Design has rock lights that you can mount in your wheel well for repairs. I have them on my list, after the LP9s.

View attachment 376666

Would not be helpful around the camp site, but will be for repairs on the truck. For the camp site, I would just order some cheaper work lights from the Amazon.

I will be doing these as well down the road here, just wanted to get the front, rear, and side lighting done first. :) I'm thinking of just some cheaper Amazon lights since they don't need to be nearly as bright as the BD lights. Basically just need something so it's not completely dark on the sides of the truck that can mount to the roof rack.