Lighting controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have more of a curiosity question. Many of the LEDs I use in my home have two options that I have not seen on any exterior lights for the raptor or any vehicle for that matter.

- control the brightness (dimming)
- control the color

Is there a specific reason for that? Does the strength of automotive lights not really allow for this level of control? Or perhaps driver's wouldn't want to use a remote or deal with some other control method that would add costs. Perhaps there are laws against this? Not enough interest?

I know you can get interior lighting with this level of control, just never seen exterior.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not an expert in this, but the led lights for these trucks are generally high output LEDs in a specific color temperature. To get adjustable colors, you need multiple colored LEDs that you can vary the intensity of to achieve a given color when they are all combined together. I don’t think you could get the high performance output we are looking for with that setup. However, some lights come with secondary lower output LEDs in a different color (e.g., Amber back lights). As for dimmability, some LEDs can be dimmed and others can’t , which I think is a function of the driver’s they are using. I’m not sure there is much demand for that in off road lighting...I’ve never seen that offered. When you are off reading, you want as much light as you can get. If you are using them on road, you need to go with SAE lights that are certified for on road use, and I don’t think you could get the certification using a dimming feature.

George S

Reaction score
I inquired about this a while back and was told by Baja Designs that their lights (pocket fog variants specifically) could be dimmed if powered through an after market switch panel that allows for programmable dimming. This would allow a more intense light (pro model) to be less offensive if used on the road.

Google “Switch Pros” for an example. I do remember seeing a Raptor specific model that mounted in the overhead console where my sunglasses compartment is, but I don’t recall who made that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShadowViper

Reaction score
Spod I believe allows dimming of leds. There are specialty lighting out there for more rgb effects, I doubt bd or any other real off roading lighting company will go that route. As for interior rgb the 2017s had it available.

Raptor18Actual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was an EE in automotive (interior) lighting. Exterior lighting has very strict rules in terms of color, brightness, light target, etc. This is why they aren't dimmable (we haven't even gotten the grid/matrix LED headlights that selectively turn off sections of the headlight to prevent blinding oncoming drivers) and you'll never see colors outside of white, amber, and red for exterior coming from an OEM; although it sounds like there's discussions to change the rules now that autonomous cars are on the horizon.

OP
OP
melvimbe

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not an expert in this, but the led lights for these trucks are generally high output LEDs in a specific color temperature. To get adjustable colors, you need multiple colored LEDs that you can vary the intensity of to achieve a given color when they are all combined together. I don’t think you could get the high performance output we are looking for with that setup.

That was my understanding of how it worked as well. I would guess that you could make a high output light that could easily switch between amber and white light without too much difficulty. Control wouldn't be too difficult either since you could have a pair of switches to do it. I imagine the light companies are happy to sell you two lights though, and consumers are happy to buy.

However, some lights come with secondary lower output LEDs in a different color (e.g., Amber back lights). As for dimmability, some LEDs can be dimmed and others can’t , which I think is a function of the driver’s they are using. I’m not sure there is much demand for that in off road lighting...I’ve never seen that offered. When you are off reading, you want as much light as you can get. If you are using them on road, you need to go with SAE lights that are certified for on road use, and I don’t think you could get the certification using a dimming feature.

Your right, certification/legality is probably an issue.

I would think something like rock lights and scene lights would make more sense for these sort of color and brightness intensity. I know you can do this sort of stuff with cheap/chinese stuff, that may not last that long, but never seen it on more reputable brands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts