Light bar or pods?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I currently have (6) pods in my factory bumper. I have a pair of ADD bumpers in the garage that will be getting installed. The bumper can take (10) pods or (1) 40” radius light bar. My question is, would you buy more pods or ditch the pods and get a light bar?
The pods I have now are
(2) squadron sports
(2) Rigid D series spot
(2) Rigid D series flood

Thoughts?

snt505

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I currently have (6) pods in my factory bumper. I have a pair of ADD bumpers in the garage that will be getting installed. The bumper can take (10) pods or (1) 40” radius light bar. My question is, would you buy more pods or ditch the pods and get a light bar?
The pods I have now are
(2) squadron sports
(2) Rigid D series spot
(2) Rigid D series flood

Thoughts?

I'm OCD so I'd want all the pods to match if I went that route. Technically you have more flexibility (obviously) with 10 pods with any configuration you want. For simplicity sake, I'd personally go with a nice bar. You can get a Baja Designs onx6 arc with dual control that allows more flexibility than a normal bar and mix spots/fogs/driving or white and amber or both that can be controlled with 2 switches.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The pods I have now are
(2) squadron sports
(2) Rigid D series spot
(2) Rigid D series flood

Thoughts?

What for?

If it’s just for aesthetics or you’re posing, light bar.
If you’re a legit off road hero, light bar, pillar mounts and drill the remaining pods into he bumper.
if you’re mostly street driving and want some on road options like SAE or well aimed not quite legal pods that would do a bang up job of lighting up critters, pods.
If every time you see a picture of @zombiekiller’s Rap you’re a little envious and a little mad:
40” bar, roof pillar mounts for even bigger bar, a pillars, drill remaining pods on the bumper.

One nice thing about pods; it’s like multiple strands of Christmas lights so you don’t have that “one light goes out, they all go out” moments.

OP
OP
Antho

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm OCD so I'd want all the pods to match if I went that route. Technically you have more flexibility (obviously) with 10 pods with any configuration you want. For simplicity sake, I'd personally go with a nice bar. You can get a Baja Designs onx6 arc with dual control that allows more flexibility than a normal bar and mix spots/fogs/driving or white and amber or both that can be controlled with 2 switches.

Thanks for the info. If I buy anything it’s going to be Baja designs. I just read into the bar you mentioned and it’s a pretty slick setup. The dual control and ability to change the lenses per 6 leds is awesome. I’ll have to look more into it but looks like if I go the light at route, that would be the one. The reasons I’m debating the pods are
1) already have 8 of them and would only need 2 more Vs new bar.
2) ability to control 2 lights at a time Vs half the light bar at a time.

decisions… decisions.

Thanks again

OP
OP
Antho

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What for?

If it’s just for aesthetics or you’re posing, light bar.
If you’re a legit off road hero, light bar, pillar mounts and drill the remaining pods into he bumper.
if you’re mostly street driving and want some on road options like SAE or well aimed not quite legal pods that would do a bang up job of lighting up critters, pods.
If every time you see a picture of @zombiekiller’s Rap you’re a little envious and a little mad:
40” bar, roof pillar mounts for even bigger bar, a pillars, drill remaining pods on the bumper.

One nice thing about pods; it’s like multiple strands of Christmas lights so you don’t have that “one light goes out, they all go out” moments.

@smurfslayer
So most of the time the raptor sets at home and makes a few runs to Nevada for a few races a year. The lighting is not for looks but for function. We had to use the raptor twice last year to run a welder/parts etc on the track after breaking. The 6 pods honestly did a pretty good job out in Jean Lake 2 weeks ago (prerunner sheared axle shaft) but there could always be more light. @zombiekiller has an awesome setup that makes me drool but we have prerunners and this is more of a light chase truck for remote pits or next day recovery So realistically I don’t think I need more than what the bumper is capable of holding.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
ok, good info. One thing that pods will give you is the ability to aim individually, so you could create a really wide swath of light up close if needed. The down side is you’ll be doing a lot of aiming to get it right.

My neighbor is from LA and says “Cajun logic says that if a little is good, a lot is more better”.

I’m leaning towards adding more pods myself but it’s your truck. I would seriously consider some A pillars, they really add dimension to the lighting and give you some light up high, out of the way of obstacles. XL80’s really help throw light out there a little further than the smaller pods.

Specialtyperformanceparts

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The pods I have now are
(2) squadron sports
(2) Rigid D series spot
(2) Rigid D series flood

Thoughts?

You have a lot of options for sure.

So it all depends on what YOU like. I will make a few suggestions to point you in a few directions.

We manufacture a NO DRILL bumper mount that allows you to install a 40" Radiance Curved Light bar, or any other 40" Curved Double Row or Single Row Light bar from Rigid or Baja.

We also have an add on for that, which has a universal curved MOUNT that allows you to add up to 10 POD lights, or combination of various lights.
The thing is, get what catches your eye. BOTH Rigid and BAJA Designs have a Lifetime warranty and are the two best LED lighting companies out there. There is no wrong answer to choosing EITHER of them. It is ironic though. People do get divided between the two brands like Ford vs Chevy guys... lol. But I can promise BOTH are fantastic and get the ones you like.

I do have a few videos here showing the no drill light bar mount, and the universal mount with a few light examples. The great thing about this setup is that you don't need another bumper... and you don't need to drill holes in yours.

My favorite application personally, after playing with various pod lights are 2 Driving and 2 Spot Rigid Amber Backlit 360 Lights. (Watch the video to see how they light up.) This configuration doesn't block your camera.

(Shown in this pic)

image_969515ee-5521-4db9-bb3e-dcc95959db49_860x.jpg

You can also add Baja LP4 or LP6 Lights-

IMG_6296_860x.jpg

Here are some videos-

You can find those on our site, or give us a call or shoot us an email for any help.

One other special deal we have going for a limited time. Most of these have sold, but we have a few left. This is the Rigid Midnight SR Light bar that was never made public. We had 50, but are down to a handful. You can get this with our bumper mounts at over 30% off!

https://specialtyperformanceparts.c...ll-bumper-mount-40-curved-me-sr-light-bar-kit

John Trischler
SPVparts.com
info @ spvparts.com
317-93-GO-SPV

OP
OP
Antho

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ended up getting another set of pods for the time being. I think I’m eventually going to get a Baja designs onx6 40” due to being able to swap lenses. So I would have (4) sections of (6) leds to change. Going that route would also mean new wiring setup due to amperage etc. So that’ll be for another day. Thanks all for the input.
D1FE323C-1366-4372-AC61-52C1DF00E5CD.jpeg

ED66D786-19DB-4D43-99F7-1B570CCD8C8F.jpeg

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with a 30" curved light and 2 rigid dualies with amber covers I use for fog lightsIMG_0052.JPG

Gdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a lot of options for sure.

So it all depends on what YOU like. I will make a few suggestions to point you in a few directions.

We manufacture a NO DRILL bumper mount that allows you to install a 40" Radiance Curved Light bar, or any other 40" Curved Double Row or Single Row Light bar from Rigid or Baja.

We also have an add on for that, which has a universal curved MOUNT that allows you to add up to 10 POD lights, or combination of various lights.
The thing is, get what catches your eye. BOTH Rigid and BAJA Designs have a Lifetime warranty and are the two best LED lighting companies out there. There is no wrong answer to choosing EITHER of them. It is ironic though. People do get divided between the two brands like Ford vs Chevy guys... lol. But I can promise BOTH are fantastic and get the ones you like.

I do have a few videos here showing the no drill light bar mount, and the universal mount with a few light examples. The great thing about this setup is that you don't need another bumper... and you don't need to drill holes in yours.

My favorite application personally, after playing with various pod lights are 2 Driving and 2 Spot Rigid Amber Backlit 360 Lights. (Watch the video to see how they light up.) This configuration doesn't block your camera.

(Shown in this pic)

image_969515ee-5521-4db9-bb3e-dcc95959db49_860x.jpg

You can also add Baja LP4 or LP6 Lights-

IMG_6296_860x.jpg

Here are some videos-

You can find those on our site, or give us a call or shoot us an email for any help.

One other special deal we have going for a limited time. Most of these have sold, but we have a few left. This is the Rigid Midnight SR Light bar that was never made public. We had 50, but are down to a handful. You can get this with our bumper mounts at over 30% off!

https://specialtyperformanceparts.c...ll-bumper-mount-40-curved-me-sr-light-bar-kit

John Trischler
SPVparts.com
info @ spvparts.com
317-93-GO-SPV
hows the front camera view ?