Life for original set of brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did a search of "brake life" on the forum, nothing really popped up (I am skeptical this topic is new) so point to a thread on this if it exist...

I am at 74,900 miles - just had a check-up at my dealership. I always ask about the brakes, figure I have to be close to at least a new set of pads by now... but "nope", they are still good.

What range of miles for a fairly normally driven Gen 2 Raptor can I expect? Feel like I had to replace my last F150's a lot earlier.

TrailWhale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m at 97,000 on mine and at the last check (about 2500 miles ago) dealer said my rears were almost ready to be done, likely at the next oil change and the fronts still had plenty of life.

KAH 24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had an oil/filter/tire/inspection service at 56k and the brake inspection checked “green” (plenty of life remaining). My Raptor is an all purpose daily driver (stop/go suburban commute with a mix of highway and city), family road trip vehicle, and mule.

I don’t recall ever replacing brake pads on any daily driver car/truck until well past 60k—which includes prior F150s, Land Cruisers/LXs. I believe my “record” is 125k on a ‘00 Land Cruiser which were still fine but thin.

Our family “toys” all have fewer than 30k miles—so obviously they are still on original pads.

Note: My wife’s brakes have always needed replacing far before mine. I’m sure if she daily drove my Raptor—I’d have replaced brake pads by 40k lol.

V6Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last oil change at around 32k, dealership said fronts were in the green and rears were in the yellow.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just traded mine in with 58k and the dealer inspected it and said my brakes needed to be done.lol With my driving I wasn’t surprised. Lol

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hit 53k on my 2019. Got a new set of KO2’s, new pads and replaced rear rotors that were warped. Front are still good. When those go I’m planning on swapping to Ford Interceptor high performance pads. I’ve driven out to Moab from Florida twice so she was due.

2ndFord

Reaction score
2018 52.5K miles. Was told at 50K service that brake pads were in "Yellow" range.

At 52K I hit a sort of lane-dividing curb at moderate speed trying to exit Newark airport July 17. Coincidence, cause, imagination, or none of the above, I thought I started hearing the slightest "tap tap tap tap" perhaps right front when coming to a complete stop. Because I have a 1500 mile trip this week to take a daughter to college I wanted it checked out. Local dealer where I ordered and had serviced since new had no service appts available for 6 weeks, so I got an appt at a dealer 50 miles away. That dealer said pads are still in yellow range, but front rotors need to be turned and rear rotors need to be replaced. Is this normal? Can't service rear rotors at 52.5K? Sounds wrong.

Their recommendations puzzled me as well. Wanted to resurface front rotors and replace rear rotors, and REINSTALL THE WORN-TO-YELLOW PADS!!!! Why not just replace the worn pads right away, rather than having the rotors wear to old pads that clearly need to be replaced soon? Doesn't make sense to me.

Incidentally they also found a "weepy" right front axle seal that should be replaced, and a cracked drivers side valve cover that is allowing about 1 maybe 2 tablespoons of oil to accumulate in the valley at the top of the valve cover. They told me these valve covers are on a national back order so can't do now.

Anyway they said I'd have no issues putting on 1500 miles "as is" for my trip, so I'm just doing that and making an appt at my local dealer for late Sept/early Oct when I should be at 55K. Will schedule that appt NOW and ask them to order the valve cover.

Opinions Appreceiated!!!