License plate renewal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
TPAKTOP

TPAKTOP

Reaction score
Here in Virginia, they charge a flat fee of $44.75 per year for vehicle registration/renewal on pickup trucks. I also had to pay the DMV $2.00 administration fee for my required emissions inspection.

I’m not sure what taxes you pay in CA, but Loudoun County, where I live, charged me a hair over $2,600 in personal property tax last year to garage my Raptor in the county. We get charged $4.20 per $100 of assessed value annually.

44.75 + 2.00 it's neat. No other taxes to a car as property?
I do not have a garage, it's pretty expensive to have a house here in LA, so I'm living in condo and we have parking. So I cannot answer this question. :(

OP
OP
TPAKTOP

TPAKTOP

Reaction score
Here in Maine they ass **** you with excise tax. It cost me $1470 to register my 2020 801A with an MSRP of $60K.
Excise tax is based on MSRP and gets cheaper each year for 6 years and will stay the same after 6 years.
It only cost $110 to register my 86 Grand National and $120 to register my 92 Bronco.

JC, it's gross. So, you have to pay it every year? Then it's worst comparing to what we have here in CA.

OP
OP
TPAKTOP

TPAKTOP

Reaction score
Jeeeeebus. I loved living in California for many reasons, but the taxes/money grabs are insane.

I’m in Tennessee now, where I pay $85 to renew each year.

And FWIW property tax is about .6% of current home value so it’s also cheap to keep it garaged here.

I've been to Nashville a couple of years ago. Nice place and I believe that is even better in small towns. But income is low and it's (TN) number 4 in crime ratings. I'm actually thinking to move to another state. But I need a state that has an ocean. So for me, it is TX, SC, NC, maybe VA (but it is blue). That's actually the main reason for my question. To understand what's going on in other states.

OP
OP
TPAKTOP

TPAKTOP

Reaction score
Same in PA. I think it’s around $45 for a car and double That for a truck. We also have annual safety and emissions inspections which run around $65. Emissions is OBDII scan and a visual (which nobody does). No tailpipe sniffers.

And no other "property tax" for the vehicle?

OP
OP
TPAKTOP

TPAKTOP

Reaction score
Same in PA. I think it’s around $45 for a car and double That for a truck. We also have annual safety and emissions inspections which run around $65. Emissions is OBDII scan and a visual (which nobody does). No tailpipe sniffers.

Yep, the same kind of emission test here in CA. And price is similar.

OP
OP
TPAKTOP

TPAKTOP

Reaction score
Do you guys have personal property taxes or garage taxes as well?

For sure no property tax on a car/truck. And I have never heard of garage tax, but because I do not have a garage, I could be underinformed about it.