License Plate Holes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for the group: do these holes in the bumper come from ford, or are the holes drilled by the dealer? Trying to see if I can avoid the holes to begin with.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford does it. as some states require front plates they prep for it. why would the dealer do it. its not their vehicle. I believe the truck comes with the bracket for states that require a front plate to utilize the holes ... I am in Michigan and front plate isn't required only on semi trucks. and my dealer said it doesn't ship with it in states that don't require front plates. they must have changed things because my 2018 came with one.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford does it. as some states require front plates they prep for it. why would the dealer do it. its not their vehicle. I believe the truck comes with the bracket for states that require a front plate to utilize the holes ... I am in Michigan and front plate isn't required only on semi trucks. and my dealer said it doesn't ship with it in states that don't require front plates. they must have changed things because my 2018 came with one.

Thanks, appreciate that. You would be surprised how many dealerships here will drill holes in factory fresh higher end vehicles just to get a plate on there. Speaking from experience.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea mine had them in it. there wasn't anything from the dealer on the truck except the dealer frame around the back plate.

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have someone print you a blank frame (or??) center it over the factory holes any way you want it. Drill through the plate and frame. Use large head bolts or just washers and bolt that puppy on.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford makes the bracket for it. they can get it for you at least my dealer said they could. but obviously it will hang down in the way a little bit. unfortunately a lot of you want to put lights right there.

Last edited:

BalorGrayJax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just got a set. The color matches the skid plate, not the bumper.... Which makes me wonder. The holes in mine are above the grill area for the intercooler, not below. Guess its back to the drawing board.

Do you have a gen3? I ask only cuz your pic is gen2. For gen3 ford drills the hole in the skid plate.. I believe for gen2 that ford did not predrill holes and it was the dealers discretion to order the front bracket and drill upon delivery so ymmv with placement.