Let's talk wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Raptor911

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
busa ... is this a good wire?

the 2 main differences in cost of wire are 1) gauge. i have seen some cheap stuff pass as a particular gauge, when it doesnt even look close. we have had customers bring in their amp wire kits that claimed 4 gauge wiring. when we looked at it, it appeared to be 8 gauge wire with 4 gauge insulation. this is a broad spectrum issue. the cheap wire will always have less inside. 2) material. the cheaper wire is aluminum clad copper, meaning the wire is mostly aluminum with a little bit of copper. quality wires will be pure copper, but will include a higher cost.

let me know if you need any wire. we have many different gauge wire here

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The best, not the cheapest is buying wire for home and industrial applications.. You know the spools at home depot or lowes next to the big wire.. Look for #12 thhn wire on spools either 100' (about $28) or some places have 250' (about $58).. Yes, 100' seems like a lot, but is is better to be a foot long than an inch short..

Might cost more than autos stores (orielly, pep boys, carquest, etc) it is worth it, knowing you are less likely having issues and being stranded because you saved $5.

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its hard to say without actually seeing the wire, but if they are claiming that it is the same as oem wire, then it should be good

Squidly

Reaction score
My aux 1 wire won’t power up. Checked the fuse and relay. Swapped them both out with another similar to no avail. Switch 1 lights up but nothing and up fitter red wire under hood. Aux 2,3 & 4 work. Could it be the switch or low volt wires to the relay?

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My aux 1 wire won’t power up. Checked the fuse and relay. Swapped them both out with another similar to no avail. Switch 1 lights up but nothing and up fitter red wire under hood. Aux 2,3 & 4 work. Could it be the switch or low volt wires to the relay?
there have been a few occurances of the switch panel failing, all while still showing its on. the light on the switch shows on, but no power passing through.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score

It's possible that the pass through wire is not spliced behind the glove box. Could have been used to power something inside the cab.