Let's Talk SIRENS!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
have you tried an airsoft grenade? it’s just a mechanical, spring operated co2 cartridge piercer, enclosed in plastic. The plastic shell is expendable, and when it bursts it’s around 125db or so.

You can get the same effect popping a gallon milk carton
etc.

Did someone say train horn? :)

Proflyer

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A client of mine has a cattle ranch. He's quick to bust out the green gas glock airsoft pistol and shoots them when they don't move. Basically feels like a nasty bite, but does the trick.

*no animals were permanently harmed prior to the posting of this reply*

OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
A client of mine has a cattle ranch. He's quick to bust out the green gas glock airsoft pistol and shoots them when they don't move. Basically feels like a nasty bite, but does the trick.

*no animals were permanently harmed prior to the posting of this reply*

I actually keep a "gel blaster" toy pistol in my truck now.

Someone brought them as a goof for happy hour during the runs, but they make a great "herding" tool. The "ammo" is biodegradable too. you just get a package of the gellies, add water, fill the mag and full-auto fun!

I think I'm going to order a feniex siren setup. I need "bad boys", "ghostbusters" and "knight rider" in my siren life.

OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Yes. Yes, you do.
Video. Or it never happened.

I was just doing some research and figured out why cows come TOWARDS my truck when I hit the siren with the "air raid" tone.

Some ranchers use "cattle sirens" to call the cattle over ( for many different reasons). Doh! :fca5278e:

The cattle sirens top out at 120Db. The 200w Siren that I'm looking at is dual tone and tops out at 130Db. this means the siren will be heard at 1.5-2 miles away. :eek:

This is gonna be fuuuuuuuun.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've been using a pretty inexpensive "chinesium" 100W Siren on my truck for the past year or so.

I went cheap on the first one as I wasn't sure how much use I'd get out of it.

Now that I'm certain that it is a VERY useful tool when crossing ranch land both in the US and in Mexico, I need an upgrade.

I had my second experience of Horses not giving a single shit when my 100W siren is on full wail.

So What Siren should I get? What is the LOUDEST? 200W? 400W? ( do they make a 400W siren setup?)

I will install whatever siren "speakers" on the cross cross-member, on the underside of the core support, facing forward.

having to listen to the siren for 5 minutes while I essentially "herded" the horses was a little annoying,. but hilarious. I've had a similar experience a few times now with cattle, especially bulls.

( gratuitous horse pictures below)

xwzvSvU.jpg
iBrdpZO.jpg

Thanks in advance for the help!

I can't wait to go!!!

OP
OP
zombiekiller

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
well, I went with a feniex storm 200w and a pair of their 100W Vanguard metal housing speakers. I'll control it through a 4200 mini controller.

If this doesn't work, I'm putting a tug boat horn or a train horn on the truck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It depends on where you are, what animals.

example. In Scotland, you beep your horn - even a motorcycle horn, and the sheep will part like Moses parting the Red Sea. It’s actually fascinating to watch and the more you do it, the more interesting it gets as I found out on the way to the Stranraer ferry.

Irish sheep on the other hand, as well as Manx sheep, couldn’t give a $*** less about your horn.

so yeah, for stubborn animals, go big.