Let's be real about it ... Should I just trade for a 250?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a cute one with the short bed. I'm surprised how many recommendations there are here for F150's. Besides the Raptor, I would never consider an F150, as they just aren't capable of real towing or hauling.

F350 4x4 CC LB diesel is a great truck all around. I'm considering an F450 for the next purchase, though the width of a dually is limiting.

20180803_134738%20800x600_zpsxcywexb2.jpg

Nice. I see you bought one of Haliburtons left over work trucks. HAHA

Sorry

Couldn't resist.

Sam

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after owning just about every variation of diesel offering in the pickups, my findings are the new 6.7 is by far the easiest, most competent diesel to date. Don't know where you got your info, probably the net, but it is a little skewed. DD is no problem at all. Attention? I put fuel in and go. Never had one that requires so little. I guess it's like the old adage says, to each their own.

Sam

All you do is put fuel in?
No Net here. Actual previous owner.
What about DEF and draining the water out of the system. I had a 2017 F250 Diesel.
I think my earlier one was a 2006 or 07. That one was simple.
They are fine for DD, just not for short trips. Grocery store etc. They need to be run up to full operating temps.

BTW, my 2014 F150 5.0 had no problem towing close to 8,000 lbs.

Boat Name  535.jpg

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As far as a pure camping rig, the best one I've ever owned had an eight-foot bed. It was really nice to have all that room available. It was a palace in the back.

BUGGOUT

Reaction score
So I bought the Raptor because I could. I think it's a neat truck, I like the way it looks, I like the appeal of it, I actually even like the sound of it. All that being said, I don't use it like it was probably intended to be used. I've loaded it down with a cap and tent and camping equipment and it's much more of a car camper at this point than any sort of Baja runner. I still love it but I'm wondering if I should just trade it for a similar MY F250.

Most of the miles I drive are on pavement but on the weekends, I will go explore forest roads around the Western US. I've really never ran across anything I couldn't handle but I also generally find a Prius (or Subaru) at the end of the road. If we're going to classify the truck as anything, I would say it's more "overland" (as much as I hate that term) than anything but I really do enjoy just turning off the highway and exploring the roads and ridges of the Western US.

All I want is something that I can load down for the weekends, cover long distances on (and off) road, maybe tow a small trailer someday (something even the Raptor could do), and be decently reliable. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a 250 might be a better fit for me but I thought I might get some input from the people here too.

BUGGOUT

Reaction score
So I bought the Raptor because I could. I think it's a neat truck, I like the way it looks, I like the appeal of it, I actually even like the sound of it. All that being said, I don't use it like it was probably intended to be used. I've loaded it down with a cap and tent and camping equipment and it's much more of a car camper at this point than any sort of Baja runner. I still love it but I'm wondering if I should just trade it for a similar MY F250.

Most of the miles I drive are on pavement but on the weekends, I will go explore forest roads around the Western US. I've really never ran across anything I couldn't handle but I also generally find a Prius (or Subaru) at the end of the road. If we're going to classify the truck as anything, I would say it's more "overland" (as much as I hate that term) than anything but I really do enjoy just turning off the highway and exploring the roads and ridges of the Western US.

All I want is something that I can load down for the weekends, cover long distances on (and off) road, maybe tow a small trailer someday (something even the Raptor could do), and be decently reliable. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a 250 might be a better fit for me but I thought I might get some input from the people here too.
image.jpg

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All you do is put fuel in?
No Net here. Actual previous owner.
What about DEF and draining the water out of the system. I had a 2017 F250 Diesel.
I think my earlier one was a 2006 or 07. That one was simple.
They are fine for DD, just not for short trips. Grocery store etc. They need to be run up to full operating temps.

BTW, my 2014 F150 5.0 had no problem towing close to 8,000 lbs.

View attachment 151239

Have to agree to disagree. Def?? Not really very hard to put it in every 5-6K miles. Water in fuel? Every 10k or so. Not really very tuff. Warm up to full operating temps?? No different than a gasser. New diesel technology dispels many old myths. But, that's like I said, to each his or her own.

Also I have no doubt your F-150 pulls your boat just fine.

Have a great day.
Sam

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It sounds like you do a fair bit of off-road. There is no way you will like the ride or length of a 250. The new ones are nice, but they still ride like crap off road and on road (compared to the Rap), stock to stock comparison. A diesels is never gonna ride plush due to the weight of the engine, also more likely to get the front end to sink in mud/sand, if that's a concern.

If I was in your shoes, a diesel 250 would be a no go. I understand the diesel itch, I've owned 8 over the years. It would likely be cheaper to go rent one on the occasion you need it.

OP
OP
adllewis42

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you do a fair bit of off-road. There is no way you will like the ride or length of a 250. The new ones are nice, but they still ride like crap off road and on road (compared to the Rap), stock to stock comparison. A diesels is never gonna ride plush due to the weight of the engine, also more likely to get the front end to sink in mud/sand, if that's a concern.

If I was in your shoes, a diesel 250 would be a no go. I understand the diesel itch, I've owned 8 over the years. It would likely be cheaper to go rent one on the occasion you need it.

Yeah, I guess I just need to try it. As much as people may say diesels aren't good off-road, those AEV 2500/3500's seem to do just fine.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I just need to try it. As much as people may say diesels aren't good off-road, those AEV 2500/3500's seem to do just fine.
Well, there's fine, then there's Raptor fine. 250 diesel motor probably weighs 500 lbs more than the V6, it takes more than magnets to keep the oil pan from bouncing off the rocks.:)