Let's be real about it ... Should I just trade for a 250?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
adllewis42

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments guys - I think you all actually talked me back from the cliff this time. I know we have some other life changes planned in the not so distant future so I think I'll stick with what I have for now and maybe re-evaluate later. You guys are awesome!

BigJim

Reaction score
I totally get your issue. I have had 3 F350s over the last 20 years and loved them all. I got a new Raptor about a month ago. I love my Raptor, but for me it is more of a toy than a truck. A really fun badass toy. I miss the cability of a truck that has a bed longer than 5.5 feet and can tow anything I want. Wish I could justify keeping both. Guess my 72 Chevy big block is going get some more use.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
My Raptor is a daily driving, pavement pounding warrior. The other truck I considered when I bought the Raptor was a Super Duty with the 7.3L Gas and the Tremor Package. I liked both trucks almost equally. So why did I go Raptor?
-Fantastic on road ride quality
-The EcoPoop is pretty damn peppy and gets good fuel economy
-Takes me to the woods when I need and will be a great hunting truck (Western MT may be similar in terrain as your area)
-Tows the 21ft Pontoon Boat with no issue

Would a plain old half ton do all of this? Sure it would, but I wanted something new and different. If your Raptor makes you smile, and financially you’re comfortable with the purchase, than who cares if it’s overkill at times? We get one shot at this thing called life. Enjoy the things that make you smile!

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why are you looking at 250s and not a 150? it doesn't sound like you need the 250s capabilities. Really sounds like any 4WD truck will do, so if deciding between Raptor and 250, it's not a matter of need but want.

If he's really wanting to get into overlanding, the payload of the 250 would be beneficial. Once you start going out on longer trips, your load gets pretty heavy.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I got rid of the stock springs a few thousand miles ago. On my last trip to the recycling center, my truck was just over 7,000 pounds on the way out. I've got a set of Icon springs in the rear which I'm pretty happy with and the truck seems to be fine but it seems like more and more of our travels will likely end up having a trailer in the future so I figured a 250 would not only do a better job/be easier, but also likely get better MPG. When you were towing with your Raptor, what kinds of mileage did you see?

With the little trailer, going out to Ocean Shores and back, about 13 +/-. With the larger trailer I went over Stevens Pass to Lk Wenatchee St Park, then back over Snoqualmie. That dropped me to 11.5. I was camping in the right lane though, not too much towing experience and didn't want to get into any trouble with a rental trailer...haha. Going a bit faster would probably crater the mileage even further.

I think the Raptor will tow anything up to its' weight rating pretty comfortably. As others have said though, if you need the bed space, or weight capacity as you acquire more 'camping goodies' you may exceed the Raptors capabilities. The 150 Diesel is an interesting option, it would probably tow as well or better than the EB with better mileage if that's a real concern. But I'm not yet fully trustworthy of 'modern' diesel emission control equipment. Kinda like the mid 70's to early 80's cars. I'd give it a few more generations to get really dialed in. A 250 Tremor is another interesting option, but the suspension isn't as compliant as the Raptor. If you enough gear on board it may come close...but sounds like price is a concern there and I sure get that.

As I mentioned though, once you get to your destination, what do you want to be knocking around in...'just another' 250...or a RAPTOR!?

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing to consider. If it's your DD, diesels don't like frequent short trips. They need to run at their normal operating temps. Also the modern ones require more attention than the previous ones.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad you are thinking about keeping the Raptor. Until you really want to tow heavy stuff the obvious benefit to the F-250 isn't there.
Before I got my last Raptor I was seriously considering a 7.3L F-250. Same reasons you were thinking of a 250.
But, I just didn't see the point of buying an even bigger truck for that one day it could come in handy. Right now, the Raptor can still tow a decent amount and is a great DD comfort wise.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing to consider. If it's your DD, diesels don't like frequent short trips. They need to run at their normal operating temps. Also the modern ones require more attention than the previous ones.

Well after owning just about every variation of diesel offering in the pickups, my findings are the new 6.7 is by far the easiest, most competent diesel to date. Don't know where you got your info, probably the net, but it is a little skewed. DD is no problem at all. Attention? I put fuel in and go. Never had one that requires so little. I guess it's like the old adage says, to each their own.

Sam

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think what keeps me leaning towards a 250 is the thought that someday, I might tow something that weighs a decent amount. Maybe it's a boat, maybe it's hauling other cars or snowmobiles, or maybe even larger trailers ... I just don't know but I do know I like knowing that I COULD tow it if I wanted to. Probably stupid, but just being honest.

ummm....a Raptor will row must boats 24’ & down- center console no issue, snowmobiles? Really? My wife’s MDX will tow a pair, shit if we’re talking dual jet skis you may wanna start looking at an F350 hahahahaha

Wainwrcb

Reaction score
So I bought the Raptor because I could. I think it's a neat truck, I like the way it looks, I like the appeal of it, I actually even like the sound of it. All that being said, I don't use it like it was probably intended to be used. I've loaded it down with a cap and tent and camping equipment and it's much more of a car camper at this point than any sort of Baja runner. I still love it but I'm wondering if I should just trade it for a similar MY F250.

Most of the miles I drive are on pavement but on the weekends, I will go explore forest roads around the Western US. I've really never ran across anything I couldn't handle but I also generally find a Prius (or Subaru) at the end of the road. If we're going to classify the truck as anything, I would say it's more "overland" (as much as I hate that term) than anything but I really do enjoy just turning off the highway and exploring the roads and ridges of the Western US.

All I want is something that I can load down for the weekends, cover long distances on (and off) road, maybe tow a small trailer someday (something even the Raptor could do), and be decently reliable. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a 250 might be a better fit for me but I thought I might get some input from the people here too.

I’m curious why you mention the jump to a F-250 rather than comparison to an F-150? An F-250 is a beast of a workhouse and likely way more than you need based on what listed above. Are you having issues with sag with your current setup?