Let's be real about it ... Should I just trade for a 250?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. Sounds like maybe I should just wait it out. I know older SD trucks rode like total shit when they had no weight in them but I think that might have been a combination of the trucks being set up for max towing while being driven with no trailer or payload AND I hear new trucks ride better. And @FordTechOne - No, I haven't looked at the 150 Diesel option. I honestly didn't even consider it. I'll have to check it out.

You can make an older F250 ride pretty good if you swap out some suspension on them.

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you plan on hauling a lot of weight, stay away from the 250. I owned 2 of them. One of them was a 2017. They ride like hell when they're not loaded up. Rode just as bad as the 2012 I had.
Get an F150 with the trailer tow pkg and it'll be more than enough. I had a few of these too.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought the Raptor because I could. I think it's a neat truck, I like the way it looks, I like the appeal of it, I actually even like the sound of it. All that being said, I don't use it like it was probably intended to be used. I've loaded it down with a cap and tent and camping equipment and it's much more of a car camper at this point than any sort of Baja runner. I still love it but I'm wondering if I should just trade it for a similar MY F250.

Most of the miles I drive are on pavement but on the weekends, I will go explore forest roads around the Western US. I've really never ran across anything I couldn't handle but I also generally find a Prius (or Subaru) at the end of the road. If we're going to classify the truck as anything, I would say it's more "overland" (as much as I hate that term) than anything but I really do enjoy just turning off the highway and exploring the roads and ridges of the Western US.

All I want is something that I can load down for the weekends, cover long distances on (and off) road, maybe tow a small trailer someday (something even the Raptor could do), and be decently reliable. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a 250 might be a better fit for me but I thought I might get some input from the people here too.

Adllewis, I'm in almost the exact same boat as you are, and in fact even in Seattle. My use of the Raptor isn't going to be the traditional desert runner either. Planning on getting a 20-22' travel trailer in a few years and putting a million miles on it...Route 66, Dalton Hwy, I-90 coast-to-coast, US-1 to the end in the Keys, etc. And plenty of Forest Service roads. I thought about a 250 myself, but don't want the trouble of a modern diesel, the Godzilla 7.3 just seems like overkill (and probably thirsty as f*ck), and I don't think the 250 would provide as much pure driving joy as the Raptor does. Plus, whenever I get to the next destination, I'll just unhook the trailer and I still have the Raptor to play with. I don't think a KR, or even Platinum 250 would also be as much fun, nor have the 'wow' factor of our Raptors. Plus, the bigger the truck, the more limit on where you can take it. And the stiffer suspension is going to compromise ride quality unless you're really loading it down. My plans, and what I'd suggest you do:

Upgrade the rear suspension...Deaver +2 or 3's, even the HD if you want more capacity/less rear end droop when you're loaded up for bear. You'll sacrifice a bit of road comfort, and maybe some off-road capability (or not if you get the upgraded bump stops, etc), but you'll be better able to handle the way you're equipping your rig. TO me this will be my biggest bang-for-the-buck improvement. When you get a trailer, consider a WD hitch. I rented a couple of trailers (17' R-pod and 21' conventional last year), and think with the soft standard springs that's a must. I may (or may not) forgo that when I put the Deavers on. I do NOT think I'll go for bigger rims or tires, I like that part of it just the way it is. I may go with some SPD turbo adapters, and already have a 170* thermostat (just not installed yet) to help keep temps down when towing. I do also already have a JLT catch-can, which collects enough oil to make me think it's worthwhile. Otherwise just lovingly maintain the EB engine to keep the internals/turbos clean and happy, change your rear diff fluid at 10K miles (and clean up the insides-you'll be shocked how much crud is suspended in the lube and adhering to the gears), tranny fluid at 20-30K (same reason) and then look forward to years of miles and fun.

Bottom line: Unless you're already nearing the max weight rating of your Raptor, and still have more gear to install (don't forget the weight if 1/2 tank of fuel, and any passengers), or truly need a bigger pickup bed, I don't think any 250 will be as satisfying to you. It sure wouldn't be to me.

Best to you whichever way you decide to go!
Thomas.

SSWIM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my F350. It rides nice, has great comfort, massage seats and all. It is tireless to drive. Versatile and does whatever it is asked to do. No, it’s not a Raptor, but they are very nice. Just have to ask yourself what ya really “want”. Not just need. Sounds like any truck will do the job for you. Nice to be able to “grow” into one though. Bigger trailers etc. Drive a couple and decide. AF539A13-0A10-485A-99A5-EFD2F9C99164.jpeg

OP
OP
adllewis42

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adllewis, I'm in almost the exact same boat as you are, and in fact even in Seattle. My use of the Raptor isn't going to be the traditional desert runner either. Planning on getting a 20-22' travel trailer in a few years and putting a million miles on it...Route 66, Dalton Hwy, I-90 coast-to-coast, US-1 to the end in the Keys, etc. And plenty of Forest Service roads. I thought about a 250 myself, but don't want the trouble of a modern diesel, the Godzilla 7.3 just seems like overkill (and probably thirsty as f*ck), and I don't think the 250 would provide as much pure driving joy as the Raptor does. Plus, whenever I get to the next destination, I'll just unhook the trailer and I still have the Raptor to play with. I don't think a KR, or even Platinum 250 would also be as much fun, nor have the 'wow' factor of our Raptors. Plus, the bigger the truck, the more limit on where you can take it. And the stiffer suspension is going to compromise ride quality unless you're really loading it down. My plans, and what I'd suggest you do:

Upgrade the rear suspension...Deaver +2 or 3's, even the HD if you want more capacity/less rear end droop when you're loaded up for bear. You'll sacrifice a bit of road comfort, and maybe some off-road capability (or not if you get the upgraded bump stops, etc), but you'll be better able to handle the way you're equipping your rig. TO me this will be my biggest bang-for-the-buck improvement. When you get a trailer, consider a WD hitch. I rented a couple of trailers (17' R-pod and 21' conventional last year), and think with the soft standard springs that's a must. I may (or may not) forgo that when I put the Deavers on. I do NOT think I'll go for bigger rims or tires, I like that part of it just the way it is. I may go with some SPD turbo adapters, and already have a 170* thermostat (just not installed yet) to help keep temps down when towing. I do also already have a JLT catch-can, which collects enough oil to make me think it's worthwhile. Otherwise just lovingly maintain the EB engine to keep the internals/turbos clean and happy, change your rear diff fluid at 10K miles (and clean up the insides-you'll be shocked how much crud is suspended in the lube and adhering to the gears), tranny fluid at 20-30K (same reason) and then look forward to years of miles and fun.

Bottom line: Unless you're already nearing the max weight rating of your Raptor, and still have more gear to install (don't forget the weight if 1/2 tank of fuel, and any passengers), or truly need a bigger pickup bed, I don't think any 250 will be as satisfying to you. It sure wouldn't be to me.

Best to you whichever way you decide to go!
Thomas.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I got rid of the stock springs a few thousand miles ago. On my last trip to the recycling center, my truck was just over 7,000 pounds on the way out. I've got a set of Icon springs in the rear which I'm pretty happy with and the truck seems to be fine but it seems like more and more of our travels will likely end up having a trailer in the future so I figured a 250 would not only do a better job/be easier, but also likely get better MPG. When you were towing with your Raptor, what kinds of mileage did you see?

WillieFlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
adllewis42, if you really want to tow, and want a diesel, but like the Raptor, did you research the new F-250 with the Tremor package? I don't know if anyone has ridden in one or know much about the Tremor Pkg, but maybe it has at least some of the Raptor ride quality in a heavier duty truck for towing??? Maybe someone on here has test driven one to provide feedback.

Last edited:

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
adllewis42, if you really want to tow, and want a diesel, but like the Raptor, did you research the new F-250 with the Tremor package? I don't know if anyone has ridden in one, but maybe it has at least some of the Raptor ride quality in a heavier duty truck for towing??? Maybe someone on here has test driven one to provide feedback.

My brother's 2020 F-250 7.3 gasser is a Tremor package. He seems very happy with the truck compared to his 2016 F-150, but I haven't ridden in it yet. He said the ride quality isn't that dissimilar from his F-150 with Bilstein shocks and E rated tires. Towing 9,200# of boat he said it was getting 9.5 mpg from Gig Harbor to Westport, but he also drives 55-60 mph with the trailer.

OP
OP
adllewis42

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
adllewis42, if you really want to tow, and want a diesel, but like the Raptor, did you research the new F-250 with the Tremor package? I don't know if anyone has ridden in one, but maybe it has at least some of the Raptor ride quality in a heavier duty truck for towing??? Maybe someone on here has test driven one to provide feedback.

I have but the Tremor is a new package and the Powerstroke Tremor, outfitted with the niceties I've come to enjoy, gets up over $80k. Not willing to do that. I've been looking around though and I can find some pretty sweet deals on optioned out Platinum 250's with low-ish (20~30k) miles in the $60k range. All I think I would ever really use is 4x4 and rarely the locking diff.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I love my F350. It rides nice, has great comfort, massage seats and all. It is tireless to drive. Versatile and does whatever it is asked to do. No, it’s not a Raptor, but they are very nice. Just have to ask yourself what ya really “want”. Not just need. Sounds like any truck will do the job for you. Nice to be able to “grow” into one though. Bigger trailers etc. Drive a couple and decide. View attachment 151184
They are beautiful trucks.

CenCstRptr

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the exact same thoughts about 3 years ago--except I did not have a Raptor yet. I purchased a HD truck, thinking we were going to be getting a trailer, or may need to have a truck to tow something heavier later on--we could grow into. The whole time I wished I had purchased a Raptor.
Long story short, I spent the next three years wishing I had purchased a Raptor, did not ever purchase a trailer, or need a HD truck for towing. Don't sell you Raptor because you may need something else down the road. Keep what you "Want", and if your needs change down the road, you can always re-evaluate at that time.