Let's be real about it ... Should I just trade for a 250?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I bought the Raptor because I could. I think it's a neat truck, I like the way it looks, I like the appeal of it, I actually even like the sound of it. All that being said, I don't use it like it was probably intended to be used. I've loaded it down with a cap and tent and camping equipment and it's much more of a car camper at this point than any sort of Baja runner. I still love it but I'm wondering if I should just trade it for a similar MY F250.

Most of the miles I drive are on pavement but on the weekends, I will go explore forest roads around the Western US. I've really never ran across anything I couldn't handle but I also generally find a Prius (or Subaru) at the end of the road. If we're going to classify the truck as anything, I would say it's more "overland" (as much as I hate that term) than anything but I really do enjoy just turning off the highway and exploring the roads and ridges of the Western US.

All I want is something that I can load down for the weekends, cover long distances on (and off) road, maybe tow a small trailer someday (something even the Raptor could do), and be decently reliable. The more I think about it, the more it seems like a 250 might be a better fit for me but I thought I might get some input from the people here too.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can’t really tell you what to do in your case, but it sounds like an F250 could work for your use case. Also if you decide to go the F250 route but decide you need a little more in the suspension department, check out Carli suspension.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would keep the Raptor if you like it, screw what someone else thinks of your usage. It may be overkill, but the Raptor will handle any dirt road exploration better than pretty much anything else.

If you want to switch platforms any F-150 would work, no point in paying for the extra fuel or cost on a F-250 for a glorified car camper. You would probably be fine with a 2.7L engine while enjoying better MPG for longer trips. Towing anything 7,000 pounds or less is very comfortable in a F-150. Add some airbags if you need to level it out with a load. Over 7K I’d consider a F-250 depending on distance, over 9K definitely F-250 regardless of distance. My brother towed 9,200 pounds of boat with a 2016 F-150 for a couple seasons and it does it ok, but his F-250 7.3 gasser does it much better with less stress.

OP
OP
adllewis42

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you looking at 250s and not a 150? it doesn't sound like you need the 250s capabilities. Really sounds like any 4WD truck will do, so if deciding between Raptor and 250, it's not a matter of need but want.

Well, that's another great point and honestly, I'm kinda considering a New 150 with the Powerboost but there's not much out there about it yet officially.

And if I'm honest, I've always liked diesel engines.

OP
OP
adllewis42

adllewis42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so put new leaf springs in the raptor and have load carrying ability
actually there was a thread about deaver adding leaves for $400
or just get deaver +3hd
cheaper than buying selling and buying again

I've got Icons on my truck now after the load actually de-arched the stock springs