Left rear door wire harness wires cut.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madeSICC88

Reaction score
Anyone have this issue before? Got done Mountain Bike riding today and put my gear in the back seat. Started the truck and had a notification that the door was still open, got out and reshut, checked the latch, still open. Then I noticed that the speaker wasn't working, so I figured it was a wire issue. Got home and pulled back the shielding to see this. It looks like the big plastic straw piece is what cut the wires. Annoying for sure. This is on a 2014 with 66k miles. 0ab480d528d69d3b9be583b783f5a270.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

madeSICC88

Reaction score
Got it all soldered up, I hate soldering little ass wires, I wonder if the speaker wires have been severed for a while, the sound is much better now that they are all fixed up, I also added a little silicone hose cap to the sharp piece of hard plastic that I guess gives support to the harness. Hopefully that takes care of the issue. The passenger side looked fine so I didn't have to mess with that side.aa3c0da9a409d7ffb07dd051242b4a67.jpg

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Happened on the wife’s hatchback. The opening/closing inside the rubber boot eventually rips the wires apart.

Looks like that fix will last a while.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice job soldering, something probably got jammed in the door at one time, somebody in your house knows something, lol.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So there is some debate within the industry around if soldering or crimping is better in these types of situations. There is an argument that in a location like this crimping with watertight heat shrink is better as over time the solder will crack and break apart. Just fun fact for if the issue comes back as a potential reason why.

OP
OP
M

madeSICC88

Reaction score
I definitely thought about that when I was looking around the garage for my heat shrink. I taped up each solder point really well and then did super tight tape around the entire bundle to keep the bending down to minimum, and if you look at it when the door closes, it doesn't bend all that much, I really think it was mostly the tip if that hard plastic that eventually cut the wires, not the continuous bending from opening and closing. We will see how long it will last.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
usually a vw and dodge problem. havent really heard of it happening in out trucks. the issue is when you make any sort of connection there, it will break again. doesnt matter if its solder or a crimp connection. anytime there is a break in the wire and its repaired, chances are it will happen again. best thing to do is cut the wire back inside the door and repin it at the door connection. i cant tell you how many of these i have had to repair. but this is a first for me in the f150 platform. have never had anyone come in with an f150 with broken door boot wires

OP
OP
M

madeSICC88

Reaction score
Yea I thought about checking out the pull it yard and doing that exact same thing. I had to do a similar repair to the rear hatch on my 3rd gen 4runner about 5 years ago. I just pulled a harness and spliced it away from the bends. Worked great.
Are all f150 door harnesses the same? Does the Sony audio use anything different or are they the same wires? I'll look into it when I get more time.

MasterKeebs

Reaction score
This same thing happened on both of my rear door wiring looms. Soldering fixed the issue until I eventually just picked up new wiring looms from a ford dealer on amazon.