Lee Power Steering help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss 2731

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My steering pump went south on me a while back and I decided after some research to go ahead and upgrade to a Lee PS kit. All went well with the install except my new PS system is whining louder than the old one. Let me say up front, this is in no way a dig on Lee. I have been in touch with them since the beginning and they have been VERY helpful. They went so far as to send me a replacement pump and have continued to offer advice. I just feel like I don't want to over do it asking for help from them, plus I figured it wouldn't hurt to have some fresh ideas. I'm really getting frustrated with the fact that I can't figure it out. At Lee's suggestion, I have shortened a couple of lines, I've tried spinning the pump with a drill. Nothing seems to help. Over the weekend, I tried putting a vacuum on the reservoir to see if I could get any air out. It was bubbling, so obviously there is still air in the system. Does anyone know if it's ok to turn the steering wheel (engine off) while the system is under vacuum? Ok to turn the pump (with the drill) while under vacuum? From what I saw this weekend, it seems my best bet to get the air out is with the vacuum, I'm just looking for ways to make it as effective as possible. I'm also starting to wonder if maybe the adaptor fitting on the steering rack might be sucking air in. I've been over all of the hose ends, but I haven't actually checked the O-rings on the adaptor. Short of pulling the adaptor out, I'm not sure how to check for a good seal. I really don't want to drain and bleed the whole system again from scratch if I don't have to.

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you done the obvious and turned the wheel lock to lock a few times to push the air out? You can't put a vacuum on the system if it has oil in it already, there is too many "locked" areas where you won't pick up the air pockets, it's not the same as a refrigeration system. I bet there is air in the steering rack. Hope you get it figured out.

complexCarlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang I have this kit sitting in my garage and was afraid of not bleeding properly.

What fluid are you using?

OP
OP
Boss 2731

Boss 2731

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you done the obvious and turned the wheel lock to lock a few times to push the air out? You can't put a vacuum on the system if it has oil in it already, there is too many "locked" areas where you won't pick up the air pockets, it's not the same as a refrigeration system. I bet there is air in the steering rack. Hope you get it figured out.
Yes, I’ve turned the wheel back and forth lock to lock many many times. I’m no expert on the matter by any means, but from what I’ve read online applying a vacuum at the reservoir does in fact help pull air up and out. It did actually seem to help pull some air out.

OP
OP
Boss 2731

Boss 2731

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang I have this kit sitting in my garage and was afraid of not bleeding properly.

What fluid are you using?
I wouldn’t have any hesitation about the kit itself. It’s pretty top notch. As for bleeding, I’d say follow the instructions to a tee a ask questions if you have any, before you do something wrong.
At the direction of Lee, I’m using AC Delco PS fluid. I was told specifically not to use transmission fluid.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here is the procedure from the Workshop Manual. If you can get it to quiet down after performing the procedure and it begins to whine again, air is being drawn into the system at a connection or seal.

1. NOTE: A whine heard from the power steering pump can be caused by air in the system. The power steering purge procedure must be carried out prior to any component repair for which power steering noise complaints are accompanied by evidence of aerated fluid.

Remove the power steering reservoir cap. Check the fluid.
  1. Raise the front wheels off the floor. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 100 for the procedure.
  1. Tightly insert the Power Steering Evacuation Cap into the reservoir and connect the Vacuum Pump Kit.
imagen2.jpg
  1. Start the engine.
  1. Using the Vacuum Pump Kit, apply vacuum and maintain the maximum vacuum of 68-85 kPa (20-25 in-Hg).
    • If the Vacuum Pump Kit does not maintain vacuum, check the power steering system for leaks before proceeding. For additional information, refer to Power Steering Fluid Leak Test in this section.
  1. If equipped with Hydro-Boost®, apply the brake pedal 4 times.
  1. NOTICE: Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump may occur.

Cycle the steering wheel fully from stop-to-stop 10 times.
  1. Stop the engine.
  1. Release the vacuum and remove the Vacuum Pump Kit and the Power Steering Evacuation Cap.
  1. NOTE: Do not overfill the reservoir.

Fill the reservoir as needed with the specified fluid.
  1. Start the engine.
  1. Install the Power Steering Evacuation Cap and the Vacuum Pump Kit. Apply and maintain the maximum vacuum of 68-85 kPa (20-25 in-Hg).
imagen2.jpg
  1. NOTICE: Do not hold the steering wheel against the stops for an extended amount of time. Damage to the power steering pump may occur.

1. Stop the engine, release the vacuum and remove the Vacuum Pump Kit and the Power Steering Evacuation Cap.

Fill the reservoir as needed with the specified fluid and install the reservoir cap.
  1. Visually inspect the power steering system for leaks.

OP
OP
Boss 2731

Boss 2731

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the procedure from the Workshop Manual. If you can get it to quiet down after performing the procedure and it begins to whine again, air is being drawn into the system at a connection or seal.

1. NOTE: A whine heard from the power steering pump can be caused by air in the system. The power steering purge procedure must be carried out prior to any component repair for which power steering noise complaints are accompanied by evidence of aerated fluid.

1. Raise the front wheels off the floor. Refer to the appropriate section in Group 100 for the procedure.
  1. Tightly insert the Power Steering Evacuation Cap into the reservoir and connect the Vacuum Pump Kit.
imagen2.jpg
  1. Start the engine.
  1. Using the Vacuum Pump Kit, apply vacuum and maintain the maximum vacuum of 68-85 kPa (20-25 in-Hg).
    • If the Vacuum Pump Kit does not maintain vacuum, check the power steering system for leaks before proceeding. For additional information, refer to Power Steering Fluid Leak Test in this section.

1. Stop the engine.
  1. Release the vacuum and remove the Vacuum Pump Kit and the Power Steering Evacuation Cap.

1. Start the engine.
  1. Install the Power Steering Evacuation Cap and the Vacuum Pump Kit. Apply and maintain the maximum vacuum of 68-85 kPa (20-25 in-Hg).
imagen2.jpg

1. Stop the engine, release the vacuum and remove the Vacuum Pump Kit and the Power Steering Evacuation Cap.

Fill the reservoir as needed with the specified fluid and install the reservoir cap.
Thank you. This is just the kind of info I was hoping for.

Chinmasterflex

Reaction score
Just a heads up, the lee pump is definitely noisier than stock even after being bled. I also found the pump whine concerning at first, especially after just pulling off yet another blown stock pump. Fast forward to now (1.5 yrs later): things have been working great. It has gotten quieter over time.

Not to dismiss your concerns but it might some getting comfortable with your new setup. Bleeding the power steering is generally pretty straightforward, I'd bet you did it correctly especially if it's been the same with 2 pumps and its not running when

Last edited:

Jonny V

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the Lee kit and it doesn’t seem to make any more noise than the stock pump did. I only hear it when cranked all the way over. Hope your situation gets resolved!

OP
OP
Boss 2731

Boss 2731

Full Access Member
Reaction score

imagen2.jpg
  1. Start the engine.

1. Stop the engine.

1. Start the engine.
imagen2.jpg

I ran through this procedure yesterday afternoon, twice as stated. The first time it was noisy and foamed up quite a bit, obviously pushing out a lot of air. The vacuum also dropped some as well. The second time around, it was much less noisy, the vacuum seemed to pretty much hold, and I didn't see any bubbles. I do still have the noise though. I should have probably mentioned this before, but at idle, the steering is seems heavy and it shudders a little when you turn it back and forth. I was planning on running through the procedure again this after noon to see if I have a repeat of yesterday. I'm thinking I have an air leak, and I guess I'll know if it pushes out air again.