LED Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I disagree with this. I have shift lights on the dash of my ZX10r and when I am launching her in anger, once I’m out of 1st gear slip it’s almost literally shift, shift, shift and yeah despite it happening in mere seconds - we’re talking 100mph plus in the time it takes a Rap to get to 60 I still find the shift light usable.

Ditto if I’m exiting a turn on steady throttle, I can use that to keep my perceived need to add throttle in check. No, I’m not staring at it, but, I’m peripherally seeing the tach indicator and know when to upshift based on that indicator.

Now, I’m not sure how much I’d like the wheel gauge / shift lights long term, but I don’t think the shift lights worthless or even impractical. They could work for some of us.

YMMV and I am not responsible if you buy one of these and run over some fiat 500 or prius because you’re fascinated by the new tach light bling.

the difference is.....on your tri-cycle :) you have actual control of the shifting process and can clutch in before bouncing off the rev limiter. The Raptors paddles are unusably slow. You have to pull the paddle to shift at 4k rpm to execute a 6k rpm shift. So even with those shift lights being "configurable" if you set them to go red at 4k rpm so you shift on time.....your next up shift will dump you almost at 4k rpm.

maybe it would be different for something like baja mode...helping you to stay in the 4,500 to 5,500 sweet spot.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
It’s true, I pedal a lot faster than most :p but ... Maybe you should have the dealer check out your truck. The Rap isn’t a dual clutch but it’s acceptably fast for a manual shifted auto. At least mine is.

A point of clarification, if you’re rowing through the gears via gear deselection - the ‘minus’ or downshift and + ‘upshift’ without selecting manual mode, shifting is significantly slower in my observation than when you’re running in manual.

I’m not saying our manual shifting is industry leading fast, just usable for what it is and a good option to have.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yeah...every car I have ever had has been a manual except my last Audi SQ5. While not a true DSG, if i was bumping the paddles it was extremely responsive.

I am constantly hitting the rev limiter on the Raptor when I try it. frustrating.

Back in the day when I had my FZR, there is something about hand clutch and foot shift....so fast and precise. but, the ******* who pulled out in front of me and littlerally killed me for 15 seconds have kept me away from bikes.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I actually like the little info display at the top of the wheel. would be interested to know what type of data is possible to display on a 2018 since we dont have the same info in the cluster as 19 and 20's do.

I would guess that there is some info available that isn't in the gauge cluster since it's getting data form OBD. Either way, I would think the manufacturer could tell you what is and isn't available. If not specific for the 17 and 18 models, you could verify whether it's available by using some other OBD device.

Now that I mention it, if you wanted the lights and info the wheel provides, wouldn't you rather see that in the middle dash, where it's probably more visible, particularly for any passengers?

I think I would like it better if there was a way to set LEDs to match the ambient light of the interior. Although I can also imagine that looking rather cheesy. it might look cool if there was a subtle light ring around the wheel, similar to what you see in the cup holders.

OP
OP
sixshooter_45

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
the difference is.....on your tri-cycle :) you have actual control of the shifting process and can clutch in before bouncing off the rev limiter. The Raptors paddles are unusably slow. You have to pull the paddle to shift at 4k rpm to execute a 6k rpm shift. So even with those shift lights being "configurable" if you set them to go red at 4k rpm so you shift on time.....your next up shift will dump you almost at 4k rpm.

maybe it would be different for something like baja mode...helping you to stay in the 4,500 to 5,500 sweet spot.

I've read more than once where people state the paddles shift slow, mine shifts as soon as I pull the paddle.

I'll have to pay more attention the next time I use them and watch the RPM gauge.

Edit:

On the way home, I had the truck in manual and the transmission shifts on command as soon as I engage either paddle, it's actually very quick to respond anywhere in the rpm range at various speeds. I can rap it right up to approximately 6,200 rpm and it will shift instantly.

I have a stock 2019.

It seems that something isn't right if you're lagging a couple of thousand rpms prior to an actual shift

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixshooter_45

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Yeah but is heated the same price and, I’m betting it’s got to be mostly leather....

I doubt it's the same price which is probably why you have to call and maybe because you're also limited to leather as you stated.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally, I prefer a leather, or alcantara, wheel over a CF wheel. CF does look very cool, but I had one in a former Porsche Macan and it wasn't my favorite.

But those different menu items on top of the wheel are really cool. I think at night the shift lights would possibly get annoying but I could suffer with that. What I'd never be able to do, having watched the video, is do the wiring. If they had to go out to a pro to get it done, I've have zero shot at it.