LED Steering Wheel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You don't need an LED/carbon fiber steering wheel to personalize your GEN2. All you need is fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror, a license plate holder with skulls, and a receiver hitch skull plug with eyes that glow red when you apply the brakes. Much cheaper than the steering wheel, and people will actually notice. :facepalm:

OP
OP
sixshooter_45

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
You don't need an LED/carbon fiber steering wheel to personalize your GEN2. All you need is fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror, a license plate holder with skulls, and a receiver hitch skull plug with eyes that glow red when you apply the brakes. Much cheaper than the steering wheel, and people will actually notice. :facepalm:

I don't need a Raptor either but I have one.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All I need are some Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mud flaps.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes, people have. There is a thread about a group buy on one for $1k on here a while back. You should also factor in the cost of the install since DIY isn't recommended. I like the look of it a lot myself, but it's just not something I can justfiy the cost on.

Instead, I got the fake CF piece you can put right on the wheel. Not as nice, but for $30, it's worth trying it out.

waveslayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have to agree, pretty cool...

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not likely the LED very much. It's a nice idea in theory, but I think it ultimately will just be a distraction. Looks like everything you get off the wheel is visible right behind it in the dash screens. and the dash doesn't have flashing lights to draw your attention off the road.

The other aspect I don't like is it needs an OBD connection. Since I already use that for WiFi, it's a no go there. Kind of a side note, but using the OBD connection is becoming more and more common. I'd like to see manufacturers start adding additional ports to allow for this. Or maybe someone could make an aftermarket product to deal with this.

Also, back on the wheel, maybe it's just me but I'd preferred to have the wheel flatten on both the top and the bottom. I don't know, sort of looks like it's broken/bent otherwise.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
couple things.

I actually like the little info display at the top of the wheel. would be interested to know what type of data is possible to display on a 2018 since we dont have the same info in the cluster as 19 and 20's do.

The shift lights on the 10 and 2 positions are stupid and worthless. because of the 10 speed and how close the gears are in the raptor, in the video you can see every shift goes from red back to green to red in an instant. The raptor with it super slow to respond shift paddles would be bouncing off the rev limiter all the time if you tried to use those as shift lights in manual mode. It ends up being unnecessary bling.

i am intrigued, but $1,200 is just too steep for a wheel where only half of it's functions will be used.

Where this would be great is on something like a GT350....that thing revs forever and those shift lights would be a benefit.

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The raptor with it super slow to respond shift paddles would be bouncing off the rev limiter all the time if you tried to use those as shift lights in manual mode. It ends up being unnecessary bling.

I disagree with this. I have shift lights on the dash of my ZX10r and when I am launching her in anger, once I’m out of 1st gear slip it’s almost literally shift, shift, shift and yeah despite it happening in mere seconds - we’re talking 100mph plus in the time it takes a Rap to get to 60 I still find the shift light usable.

Ditto if I’m exiting a turn on steady throttle, I can use that to keep my perceived need to add throttle in check. No, I’m not staring at it, but, I’m peripherally seeing the tach indicator and know when to upshift based on that indicator.

Now, I’m not sure how much I’d like the wheel gauge / shift lights long term, but I don’t think the shift lights worthless or even impractical. They could work for some of us.

YMMV and I am not responsible if you buy one of these and run over some fiat 500 or prius because you’re fascinated by the new tach light bling.