LED License Plate Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nick, your photos are not how those lights look in person. Not even close.

I have SMD2, as well as Philips 194W LEDs.

Glare is not present when camera is clean and it is dry outside. Yet, when you have a bit of mist at night, glare is there.

Both SMD2 and Philips light up half of my tailgate because on F150 lights are pointed at 45* upwards. And because of how lights are pointed up, the glare is present.

I'll take a few pictures when it is dark outside.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I’m looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Again, those pictures posted were taken by me of our 2018 Raptor with my phone set up to AE/AF lock so the brightness is as consistent as I could get it.

If the camera is dirty, or there is a mist, any view from the rear camera will be distorted. On our 2019 Super Duty with the LED projector license plate lights, the rear camera is distorted under those same conditions.

That being said, I’m not comparing these to any of the OEM LED options available on the F-150 or Super Duty platform, but then again, those don’t cost $8 for the pair.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
In my opinion, that picture appears much brighter than they look in person.

That being said, if you purchased them from me and you aren't satisfied with them, let me know and I'll refund your order. At the end of the day, we're trying to provide a nice upgrade. And if we didn't achieve that, then I'll make it right. Feel free to PM me your email or order number and I can get this taken care of.

FarmersFight

Reaction score
Wanted to share my before and after with the Apollo Optics lights: Cool White (6000K) / SMD2 (24 lumens).

Was a little concerned that the 56 lumens might be a little too bright. Probably something like a 35-40 lumen option might be optimum, but think the 24 lumen model was the right choice for me. Probably will look even better when it’s clean. Great upgrade for $13 ($8 plus $5 shipping). Took all of 2 minutes to install.

Before:
upload_2020-11-7_20-28-32.jpeg

Left light is the new LED. Right light is the original:
upload_2020-11-7_20-28-51.jpeg

Both new LED lights:
upload_2020-11-7_20-29-40.jpeg

upload_2020-11-7_20-29-57.jpeg

upload_2020-11-7_20-30-14.jpeg

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nick, your photos are not how those lights look in person. Not even close.

I have SMD2, as well as Philips 194W LEDs.

Glare is not present when camera is clean and it is dry outside. Yet, when you have a bit of mist at night, glare is there.

Both SMD2 and Philips light up half of my tailgate because on F150 lights are pointed at 45* upwards. And because of how lights are pointed up, the glare is present.

I'll take a few pictures when it is dark outside.

Actually those pictures are very close to what my HP3's that I got from
Nick@Apollo-Optics look like. I don't have the applique, and there is some bleed-over onto the "F-150" along the bottom, but that's it. I've have had zero glare issues from them with my camera and they've been in since April. It sure as hell doesn't light up my entire tailgate like in that one picture.