LED License Plate Bulbs Now Available at 4x4TruckLEDs.com

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When I added LED license plate lights that led to another mod. I hated how the F150 license plate light housings point up and illuminate the tailgate like a billboard even with the stock bulbs. I saw a mod on the F150 forum where people were swapping in Super Duty light housings because the light is recessed and doesn't point up like the F150 housings. You just have to enlarge the holes in the plastic bumper pad a little because the Super Duty housings are slightly bigger. A lot of people on the F150 forum complained about the light pointing up messed with the rear camera. I just hated having the tailgate lit up. No more tailgate lit up like a billboard.

71LzRUqHC6L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
SAM_0614.JPG

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
When I added LED license plate lights that led to another mod. I hated how the F150 license plate light housings point up and illuminate the tailgate like a billboard even with the stock bulbs. I saw a mod on the F150 forum where people were swapping in Super Duty light housings because the light is recessed and doesn't point up like the F150 housings. You just have to enlarge the holes in the plastic bumper pad a little because the Super Duty housings are slightly bigger. A lot of people on the F150 forum complained about the light pointing up messed with the rear camera. I just hated having the tailgate lit up. No more tailgate lit up like a billboard.

71LzRUqHC6L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
View attachment 153175

For a while we sold a plug in system like this but decided the cost wasn't worth it. Drop in LED bulbs are easy/inexpensive and don't point up at the rear view camera (although we had no issues when we had plug in housings)

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For a while we sold a plug in system like this but decided the cost wasn't worth it. Drop in LED bulbs are easy/inexpensive and don't point up at the rear view camera (although we had no issues when we had plug in housings)
The F150 housings point up more so than the Super Duty housings.

0-2015-2016-F150-LicensePlate.jpg

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since they are LED`s and do not run hot, can you do a little modification to the inside of the lense to keep the light from travelling up the tailgate? Something like a little block off plate on top?

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since they are LED`s and do not run hot, can you do a little modification to the inside of the lense to keep the light from travelling up the tailgate? Something like a little block off plate on top?
I covered the top portion of the F150 lenses with black electrical tape and didn't help much the remaining light still angled upward. It would probably be worth a shot to see if you're happy with the results. A lot of people on the F150 forum did the Super Duty housing swap because the light shining up affected the rear camera. I did it because I didn't like the light shining up on my tailgate.

OP
OP
4x4TruckLEDs.com

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I don't think you guys need to worry about lighting "angling up" - the license plate bulbs do not effect your rear view camera at all.

richnot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's hard to believe that in this day and age that you would have halogen bulbs anywhere on a $70k truck, but I guess it's not all that bad considering you can spend over $60k on a Jeep Wrangler and have to select LED lights as a $1300.00 option