LED headlight retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richard c

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed much in the past but wanted to check in now in 2022 to see if LEDs have been designed to work in a Raptor halogen capsule.

Mine is a 2018 Raptor with the dual halogen capsules. I’d really like cleaner, crisper, farther reaching light with good cutoff.
I already have BD LP6/LP9 combo on a bumper bar but it’s just too hard to turn them off all the time from the upfitter AUX panel when I see an oncoming car when on rural roads with blind corners.

Would like to know if there is a “considerate” retrofit lamp that
1-can fit in the capsules
2-plug n play
3-optimized for the oem lens/reflector

Although my Raptor is a 2018 it feels like it’s 1995, and that I’m driving faster than my lights.

Also, not interested in replacing the whole assembly, I like the simplicity of the OEM stacked design. Not a fan of the Morimoto quads, or the apex horizontal amber stripes, or spending $1,700+

Feedback is appreciated

Attachments

• 5893C773-2228-4BD8-AAD2-A689CC1EBBFA.jpeg
    5893C773-2228-4BD8-AAD2-A689CC1EBBFA.jpeg
    314.4 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
richard c

richard c

Reaction score
Or…
Figure out a way to turn off the AUX lights I have by connecting to the auto high beam sensor

Attachments

• C2B842AF-E9B9-42EC-93B0-3E277E341DF9.jpeg
    C2B842AF-E9B9-42EC-93B0-3E277E341DF9.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 30

ColoradoBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LED bulbs don't belong in a halogen housing. However you I can see by your photo you have the factory LED headlights and those are chips built into the headlight, not bulbs. So, you cannot replace the bulbs. You would have to change the whole housing.

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea you have LEDs already. I wasn’t a fan of the OEM LED headlights either, switched to the Morimotos and the output is much better

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
While the oem headlights aren't the best, they're still pretty good, but perhaps they are not adjusted properly? The cutoff should be pretty close to the horizon so if they're too low it would look dark.

Maybe check out a YouTube video for a very easy adjustment with a Philips screwdriver. Very easy to do on a dark road

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jorge
Please lmk which Morimoto you used and a close-up pic if possible.
Was it difficult to install? How’s the cutoff?
Thanks

Installation wasn’t bad, maybe an hour or so. Not very difficult and there’s plenty of how-to videos to help out. Cutoff is crisp, I finally got around to aiming them better so next time I drive in the dark I’ll try to shoot you a picture.