Leave engine running and lock doors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depending upon the locale, I'd be real careful about doing this with a desirable specialty vehicle. Even with the price of gas being lower than it has in years, this is still a questionable practice.

So I'm curious. Why do this? What's the incentive?

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check with your insurance company before doing this please. There are clauses that relate to "providing access" to a vehicle. I have heard cases of denials due to owner negligence.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a aftermarket remote start and if I hit the remote start button before I turn the key off it will continue running after I take out my key.
Not sure if this is the same for the OEM set ups.

Don't think the OEM system has a pit-stop feature, but I do love that on my viper system. Use it all the time when doing quick errands.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Depending upon the locale, I'd be real careful about doing this with a desirable specialty vehicle. Even with the price of gas being lower than it has in years, this is still a questionable practice.

We have done this when we have our dog and need to be away from the truck for more than 15 minutes.

Not a desirable option, but it works.....

Thank You for your donations to Avery. We hit our goal!

Yukon Joe
Snoball 3
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
We have done this when we have our dog and need to be away from the truck for more than 15 minutes.

Not a desirable option, but it works.....

Thank You for your donations to Avery. We hit our goal!

Yukon Joe
Snoball 3
Delta Lead
www.runraptorrun.com

Ditto! If not a good place, I make my wife go out every 15 and restart the truck :ROFLJest:

upscrazy8

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Start truck get out with key in ignition truck running and shut door....now push 7/8 and 9/0 at the SAME time. Voila, doors locked, maybe push twice within seconds to lock all doors.

Run errand and return to (hopefully still there) running vehicle, enter keypad code, door (s) unlock. Viola.. commence duties;)

Report back with updates.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Just get a viper security system. Mine, you can just hit remote start on the button, pull the key out of the ignition and get out. Just hit lock on the remote or leave the truck unlocked if you don't have anything to have stolen. They try to take off and put their foot on the brake and it shuts off.

The best part is, while the truck is running in remote start and locked, the alarm system is on and you have tilt sensors, glass break sensors, etc. I love my viper alarm system.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score

I do this too. And yes location does matter when doing this.

I do it on cold mornings when I have to run in somewhere. I can't stand driving on cold mornings when the truck isn't up to operating temperature.